Report: Samsung Galaxy S6 feature a metal and glass design

Ever since we broke word of Samsung’s new Project Zero initiative for the Galaxy S6, expectations have been running rather high as far as the phone’s design is concerned, especially since consumers have become rather bored of the design language that Samsung has been using for a couple of years now. Previous rumors have hinted that the Galaxy S6 would feature a metallic design similar to the Galaxy Alpha and Galaxy Note 4, and now, a report from DDaily is citing sources as saying that the S6 would feature a glass front and back with metal on the sides, similar to Apple’s iPhone.

The report is in Korean, and according to the translated text, the Galaxy S6 will have glass on the front and back, with both sides connected by a metal rim. If true, it would be a huge deviation for Samsung’s hardware design – the Korean manufacturer has always preferred sticking to plastic and, since the Galaxy S5, to a faux leather back for improved ergonomics. Even the Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge have faux leather backs, which combine with a metallic rim to offer an ergonomic, yet premium experience.

Phones with glass/metal on the back have always proven to be rather slippery and difficult to handle, more often than not necessitating the use of cases, with glass particularly more problematic than metal. Even Apple moved away from glass backs with the iPhone 5, and it would be a disappointing move on Samsung’s part to use a glass back on a flagship device that people will spend top dollar on to purchase.

As usual, nothing is confirmed until we get more concrete info (as far as Samsung’s flagship devices are concerned, we usually see the final design around the official announcement.) Samsung, for all its faults, has always been great at making good hardware that is ergonomic and well put together, so it remains to be seen if an all-glass and metal design is something the company will employ.

Source

Phones 15

Sammysamsam1
1 year 5 months ago

I really think a glass body phone is a bit backward when considering drop test. But hey! Samsung would know this and therefore lets see what they come up with. The implementation may be better than we are imagining or maybe there is no glass at all.

Solun
1 year 5 months ago

Note 4 is anything but premium. It looks much cheaper than the S4. And please don’t disagree if you can’t compare by holding them both. Hopefully the S6 will look spectaculary. And I’m sure it will. Samsung never disappoints. All the haters here can go grab something else.

Sammysamsam1
1 year 5 months ago

I hope you dont work in a design related atmosphere. Else your company is in big trouble. You are delusional to make that comment. I wouldnt even go into explaining why I would say this because the explanation is clearly evident to anyone who reads your ridiculous comment.

Nelz91
1 year 5 months ago

Stop it…I’ve held both. I’ve looked at both …Note 4 is way ahead. I feel silly having to type this right now.

supersam

Rwas
Reason why apple stopped making glass phones.. Drop and smash

sammami

O my got why glass?

Saint Kunle
1 year 5 months ago

Why can’t Samsung go with something like a very thick and yet flexible leather on the back of the phone and metal on both sides? Because I prefer a phone whereby I’d be able to change my battery and if Samsung should change their design to a unibody then I might not buy their next flagship

Sammysamsam1
1 year 5 months ago

Whats with everyone and switching batteries! I have had the s3 for two years now and never thought of buying a battery to switch. Samsung’s new phones are coming with some great battery life. You can squeeze two days out of the thing especially with the ultra power mode. just recharge when you are home.

Sureshan
1 year 5 months ago

This is definitely a step in wrong direction if it is actually true. Full Metal body wil be a step in the right direction.

supersam
1 year 5 months ago

Terrible idea why cant they make a metal removable battery cover and make the phone metal if this is true i am getting the new htc as that design is the best atm

dont ruin it Samsung and stop taking ideas from other company’s i love Samsung but with out android the phone would be a flop

Solun
1 year 5 months ago

Why not? Don’t you remember Samsung Wave? Full metal body, removable battery cover.

TiagoJGMatos
1 year 5 months ago

Maybe they use Corning Gorilla Glass 4 in the back of the phone or a mix of glass and metal

TAMAREXXE
1 year 5 months ago

This will be the end for the galaxy S line if Samsung are stupid enough to do that. I would never buy one and a lot of people wouldn’t either. The use of glass would rule out a removable battery, and glass is way too fragile. And I refuse to use a case as they are uniformly ugly and bulky.

Millenium3
1 year 5 months ago

Indeed the original text in Korean says both front and back in glass, connected by a metal rim.

Also says that the purpose of doing so is to mark a clear difference with a lower end Galaxy A series.

LeifS
1 year 5 months ago

If this should be true it would be a reason for me to not buy it. I’m actually glad that Samsung didn’t followed the metal or glass trend so far and prefer a high quality polycarbonate or other materials like leather on the recent Motorola devices.

Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* X