Posted by Abhijeet M. 7 months ago

Samsung engineers speak on using plastic on Galaxy S5, other design decisions

s5-gold-back-feature

Samsung has been adamant in its use of plastic on all of its Android smartphone, be it a device on the extreme low-end or a flagship phone like the Galaxy S5. In case of the latter, while plastic remained the key choice of material, Samsung adopted a new perforated textured back that makes the handset feel much more premium than previous devices. In an interview with Engadget, Samsung engineers have spoken out on exactly how they arrived on the look for the Galaxy S5, and also detailed how they tackled other aspects of the fifth-generation Galaxy S.

“Our major aims were usability, friendliness and a more humanistic design. We wanted something with a pleasing feel … and better grip. If we used metal, [we felt] the designs felt heavy and cold,” explains Senior Product Designer Dong Hun Kim. According to Kim, plastic has a warmer feeling, and the band-aid like texture on the back was also “the best at visually expressing volume.” It’s perhaps the first time someone at Samsung has spoken out in such an open manner on why plastic remains the clear choice for its phones, though it won’t exactly sway those who like to have metal on their devices for the premium feeling.

galaxy-s5-interview-1

Also discussed on the interview was how Samsung tackled the software – according to Jeeyeun Wang, Samsung’s principal user experience designer, the software team singled out things used most by Galaxy consumers, which included things like camera, browsing and messaging, and focused on improving those, while accepting that the focus with previous smartphones was more on “fancy, showy features … things that you might only use once or twice a year.” It’s a clear sign that the company is beginning to understand that it needs to offer a great overall experience in the things that matter, which is the reason the Galaxy S5 doesn’t offer too many new features that would be waved off as gimmicks by most.

It’s a very interesting interview that explains a lot about the thought process behind the Galaxy S5, so go ahead and check it out at the source link.

galaxy-s5-interview-2

galaxy-s5-interview-3

Source

9 comments on “Samsung engineers speak on using plastic on Galaxy S5, other design decisions

1. Electronics 7 months ago said:

I am a fan of samsung at all , but i would never buy anything like s5 design,the worst design i ever saw on a flagship
    dear Samsung engineers ! please change your design because you`ll lose your fans by this design
    i know s5 is the best smart phone in the world(of course after note3!) but someone will never buy it just because of its design and low-end looking
    i like my note3 design,but it`s not perfect too.

2. vitias.ru 7 months ago said:

I personally like the design of every Galaxy S and Galaxy Note flagship phone and their plastic. I have been using my aunt’s metallic iPhone 5 and I can say that I love plastic much more! The S5′s design seems better to me than that of the S4′s and also it doesn’t look worse than the Note 3′s design. I have the Note 3 and I really love its back cover. The back cover of the S5 is something similar, but not the same. It’s something original and has a nice feeling in hands. So I don’t blame Samsung’s preference of plastic, but instead, I support this choice and I also have to say that the design of the Galaxy S5 doesn’t look cheap or low-end at all. It looks original.

3. JohnK 7 months ago said:

S5′s design is ok. Many are criticizing whereas it’s a mix between S2 and S3/S4.
    I’ve upgraded from S4, i prefered S4 because of less bezels and tighter.
    Grip is about the same as before, a friend of mine took it in his hands and said same as me.
    I will order different back covers because i’m not pleased with the white (the only one available when i bought it), but at least i have a transparent protecting case which makes it a looker that way :)

BTW, i miss that quick glance feature from S4. I can’t stand anymore pushing home button each time i want to check for time/missed events :(

4. gtone339 7 months ago said:

Seen the GS5 close up at my local retail store and the backcover felt so much better than the GS3 & GS4!!

Touchwiz seems more polished than it’s predecessors, though my magazine app tends to lag at times. Just needs a update to remedy that! :)

5. MarWess 7 months ago said:

I think the Galaxy S3 has a far better designs on the side. The back feels better on the S4.