Posted by Dom A 1 year ago

Too many Pixels?

Super-HD-AMOLED

A smartphone’s display is the portal through which we interface with all our precious content and data. You can talk about gigahertz and FPS all you like, but at the end of the day… processing power and performance are redundant if the quality of the screen substandard. It is evident that smartphone manufacturers are aware of this, with screen technology evolution coming on leaps and bounds ahead of everything else. But has it gone too far? Are new devices being over-manufactured with components we don’t really need any more?

PIXEL1

We’re now seeing 1080p screen resolutions with 400+ pixels per inch (ppi) for 2013 releases. That sounds impressive, and yes, there is no doubt that it is impressive, but is it necessary? 3 years ago, 1080p was reserved for high end 50’’ televisions – now we are seeing them in 5’’ mobile displays! That’s an amazing leap forwards, but is there a point where it is all getting a bit silly? I mean… 1080p is pretty crisp even when I’m close up to my TV, isn’t it overkill to put that in my phone?

Super-HD-AMOLED

If we put arguments about pentile and RGB stripe, AMOLED and LCD technologies to one side, let’s just ask ourselves if there is a problem with the current state of screen resolutions and pixel densities on current flagship devices. The Galaxy S3 has a 720p resolution with a ppi of 306, and the Galaxy Note 2 has a ppi density of 267 and they look pretty perfect to most of us. Why do we need a higher pixel density?

Well… it seems that some people like to look at their devices with magnifying glasses! Someone with perfect 20/20 vision would theoretically be able to see individual pixels at a density of 2190ppi on a screen just 4” (~100mm) from their eyes, and for the average person with 20/20 vision, it’s about 876ppi. The majority of us would get a bit cross-eyed with a screen that close! At a 1 foot distance (probably a bit closer than most of us actually use our phones) the majority of people with 20/20 vision can only differentiate individual pixels with a density below 300ppi.

pixel-density-xperias

Any pixel density over 300ppi, therefore, is only going to benefit a small minority of people with exceptionally good vision, or those who have their phones glued to their noses. All of these extra pixels are going to go largely unnoticed, and do very little other than waste battery life – something which is frustratingly poor in all smart phones.

I don’t mean this to discredit the amazing advances in technology, but now that most high end device manufacturers have reached the happy 300ppi, I would much rather they held back with this sort of thing and invested some time in better battery technology rather than wasting voltage on invisible pixels. Until we are walking around with smart phones strapped to our faces (Project Glass), I just can’t see[!] how these additional pixels are going to improve my over all user experience.

retinapixel

Perhaps I will change my mind after some proper hands-on time with devices launched later this year, I guess time will tell – or maybe I need to get my eyes tested – but for now I remain very sceptical about the need for higher resolution and higher pixel density smart phone screens. It just seems like a waste of resources to me…

What do you think?

9 comments on “Too many Pixels?

1. iampiti 1 year ago said:

I haven’t had the privilege of using one of these 5 inch 1080p screens but I agree with you. At the typical smartphone screen size (4-5′) 1280×720 is already enough: Everything looks very sharp.
    From what I’ve read there is barely a difference between 720 and 1080 on a smartphone screen and what for?: Worse battery life due to more power hungry screens, more CPU and GPU load; worse framerates due to the same things (I don’t even run my PC GPU at 1080! and it’s much more powerful than the ones at phones).
    Also, the 1080 screens currently mean 5 inch and that’s a bit too big for me. If I could choose the ideal screen for my next smarthone it’d be 720 at around 4.5′

2. nahusiv 1 year ago said:

this seem to be a leaked S4 ppi who u guys are not telling us but ya, i read so many ppl who see the diff

3. PiotrekDG 1 year ago said:

I have Galaxy Note II and it’s not enough. Just run a game without antialiasing, Modern Combat 3 or Minecraft, or probably most of 3D games and you’ll see pixelated edges.

• MartinR 1 year ago said:

Isn’t this due the fact you turn off those things …

• billant 1 year ago said:

The pixelation is not due to the ppi of your screen but rather the gpu not able to render it at full ppi rate on graphic intensive frames. Ya, get a 1080 and it will look even worse, again it’s not the screen res that’s making it pixeated.

4. Spiritualis 1 year ago said:

I believe improvements in battery and energy consumption will be the next step. 5″ displays are here to stay, and so is Full HD. Pushing the resolution further beyond Full HD on a 5″ display will not be something that consumers will be able to take advantage off.

Instead, i believe thinner and smaller form factors, improved battery life and improved functions is the way the big sharks are going.
    It seems to be the natural step in this smartphone market process.

As for processors, quad cores in smarthphones is more than enough.
    The graphic processors are splendid, and the RAM of 2GB is enough.

I believe that for 2014, we need something revolutionizing. A new iPhone amongst dumb phones. A new thin LED amongst thick LCD’s.
    That’s what consumers want.

5. karthik gowtham 1 year ago said:

Nah My Phone Doesnt Even Seems Like Touching Those H/W Specs

6. glowman 1 year ago said:

Finally I have read a topic about the insane urge of phone makers to ridiculously make full hd fit into smartphone screens. I agree, HD (720) on a 4 to 5.5 inch screen is more than enough. making it 1080 is barely distinguishable. why don’t they improve their tablet screens instead to full hd, 7 inch and up screens could use the extra pixel density.

7. kc.kalahasthi 1 year ago said: