Samsung GALAXY Note S Pen SDK 2.2 now available!
Samsung has provided a special SPEN SDK since the first Galaxy Note
This SDK is specially for the SPEN to create new features and to bring new applications for their own Note devices.
Today Samsung released the next version of their own SPEN SDK.
The new version 2.2 provides many new features and solved a couple of bugs of version 2.1.
At the moment Samsung has 3 devices with their own SPEN. The Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note II and Galaxy Note 10.1.
In the future we will see more Note devices. There are rumours about a new upcoming tablet (GT-N5100) of the Galaxy Note series. A smaller version of the Galaxy Note 10.1 will come soon to compete against the new upcoming iPad Mini and Nexus7.
Let us know if you created an application for the Galaxy Note series!
Samsung’s advice is to download the new SDK.
New or Changed in the S Pen SDK 2.2 Release
The S Pen’s hovering feature has been improved greatly.
• Hovering-related functions were only available in SCanvasView in the past, but the new SPenEventLibrary class makes
it possible to use the hovering features in normal views.
• To make it easier to set and use hover pointer icons, which are displayed when using the pen, text,
color picker, and color-fill-in tools with SCanvasView, the S Pen SDK 2.2 provides predefined setting values such as the
S Pen SDK Style and S-Note Style, as well as APIs. (Note: Applicable to Note 2 or later.)
• It also allows setting and changing hover pointer icons in normal views through the setSPenHoverIcon method of the
SPenEventLibrary class. (Note: Applicable to Note 2 or later.)
The S Pen Detachment Listener API has been added.
• The SPenDetachmentListener listener for handling events that occur when the S Pen is detached from or attached to
the device was added. (Note: Applicable to Note 10.1 or later.)
Drawing-related features have been upgraded.
• In addition to the 4 types of pen brushes (pen, brush, pencil, and highlighter) that were available in the previous Pen
Input Mode, the brush type, “calligraphy brush” has been added, and there are now 5 brush types to choose from.
• A new feature for filling the inside of shape drawn by the user with a specific color picked by the user was added.
The SettingView for choosing the fill color was also added.
SettingView-related features and UI have been improved.
• A Pen Setting preset feature has been added with support for up to 12 presets.
• An align setting feature was added in the Text SettingView and two new fonts (Chocolate Cookie and Rosemary) have
• A Mini SettingView pop-up window that shows essential features of a SettingView, such as pen/eraser/text/color fill,
in a smaller size has been added.
Object-related clipboard features have been added.
• Related APIs such as object cut, copy, paste, and clear clipboard have been added so that the user can use the
clipboard after selecting the image objects that have been added to SCanvasView.
Performance enhancements and stabilization have been improved.
• The file saving speed of the SAMM library has been improved.
• The Pen Only Mode have been added for using only the pen and erasers from the S Pen SDK
(excluding text, image, and fill objects), is now supported.
Unnecessary and duplicate APIs have been deprecated, and the names of some APIs have been changed.
• Deprecated methods can be used in the previous 2.1 version and the current version, but they will be removed in
10 sample apps, which were provided separately for each feature, are now integrated into one sample app.
• The sample app has been changed to one sample app that shows each feature in a list format, and shows a demo of
the feature that the user selects.
Examples of new features added in version 2.2 have been added to the sample app.
• Examples of changing hover pointers, linking hover and pop-up windows, checking S Pen Events in a normal view,
applying image filters, and color filling have been added.