Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone please help me to debrand Galaxy Note 2

Can someone please help me to debrand Galaxy Note 2

Hi.

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this question but I've tried looking at Q&A and can't find it .

Currently my phone has Vodafone branding and I want to get rid of it and have it unbranded to any operators.

I've had a look on Kies and it tells me that my firmware is up to date

PDA:LL4/PHONE:LL1/CSC:LL2 (VOD)

Other info on the phone:

Android Version 4.1.2
    Baseband Version N7100BUDLL1
    Kernel Version 3.0.31-679347
    [email protected] #1
    SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 11 10:26:47 KST 2012
    Build Number JZO54K.N7100XXDLL4

Please help or at least point me in the right direction as I'm new to all this.

Thanks

Losty

The process is:
    1. Unlock the phone.
    2. Choose android 'open' firmware to flash with Odin.
    3. Factory reset to remove VOD Sales Code.
    4. You have an unbranded phone.

Hi greenman. Thank you for your quick response. It is greatly appreciated. I believe my phone is unlocked already as I'm using an O2 sim card.

You say choose android open firmware to flash with odin. Choose from where? Can you please direct me to the required files?

Again, please accept my apologies for being an idiot and your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Losty

Quote Originally Posted by Losty [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi greenman. Thank you for your quick response. It is greatly appreciated. I believe my phone is unlocked already as I'm using an O2 sim card.
    You say choose android open firmware to flash with odin. Choose from where? Can you please direct me to the required files?
    Again, please accept my apologies for being an idiot and your assistance is much appreciated.
    Thank
    Losty
    Go to FIRMWARE at top of Sammobile page.
    In Search put 7100.
    Choose your firmware from the list. Remember android version is more important than country so choose the latest android version.

Hi greenman

Which firmware do you suggest?

Thanks

Losty

Quote Originally Posted by Losty [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi greenman
    Which firmware do you suggest?
    Thanks
    Losty
    Choose the latest android version.
    Country is less important.

EDIT: This 4.1.2 firmware for Netherlands is also for the UK region:

[ Login above or register to see download links. ]

If you want UK (BTU) firmware, the latest is still android 4.1.1
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Last edited by greenman; 18-01-2013 at 11:29.

If you do not want to wait until 4.1.2 for UK is released (BTU), if I were you, I would use one of these (both released recently in January 2013). They are basically the same and the latest stock firmwares:

Netherlands: [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

German: [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

These are from sammobile firmware page list.

I would skip on any 4.1.1 firmware because of some security issues. To be on the safest side, I would use one of the 4.1.2 firmwares released after January first 2013, even though a couple of firmwares before that date, are also fine.

Since you are doing it for the first time, this is going to help you:

1. Power off the Galaxy Note 2 device that you’re about to update.
    2. Boot the Galaxy Note 2 into Download Mode by pressing at the same time ‘volume down’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ buttons. When the Warning!! menu appears, release the buttons and then press only ‘Volume up’ to select the boot of Download Mode.
    3. Launch the ODIN executable file and after that connect your device to your PC using the USB cable. ODIN window should display a message that says ‘added!!’, which means that the phone has been recognized by the computer and you can move to the next step. If it doesn’t say ‘added!!’ then you should change the USB ports or you should re-try to install the USB drivers.
    4. If the phablet device was recognized, then you can click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN and browse for the tar.md5‘ file. Load the file and then make sure that you don’t change any other default options of ODIN. Also, make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is NOT ENABLED.
    5. Press START to begin the updating process of your device. Don’t touch any buttons and wait for ODIN to display the ‘PASS’ message.
    6. The Galaxy Note 2 will restart and when the Samsung boot logo appears, you can unplug the device from your PC.
    7. Wait for the boot process to complete as this might take several minutes. After that you should see the new welcome screen and you will take control over your phone, once again.

During flash process, there will be several restarts and some fazes may look to you unusually long. Take it easy, this is common, do not interrupt the process, be patient.

After you flash with a 4.1.2 firmware, make sure you also factory reset your phone in order to avoid battery life issue. Before factory reset, off course, backup your data to be able to restore them later.

Good luck!

B.T.W. I was in an identical situation. My phone was also unlocked, but T-Mobile branded. Everything went perfect.
    Last edited by sa71; 18-01-2013 at 11:55.

Cheers Guys.

Its much appreciated! I've done it and it's working fine. However, I have one more question: In Kies, it says, "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies"

Is this normal?

Cheers Guys.
    Its much appreciated! I've done it and it's working fine. However, I have one more question: In Kies, it says, "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies"
    Is this normal?
    For Kies to give any update, your firmware csc and your phone Sales Code have to be for the same country.
    If you want to update with Kies, then you need to change the Sales Code - but why do this when Odin does a much better job.

Indeed, do not let bother you unmatched sales code and firmware csc. It is meaningless when you can add any language you want anyway and get your internet/mms settings either directly from your SIM card or have them sent to you by your provider. Besides, as far as I know, you cannot change csc on 4.1.2 unless you root your phone. I would not root my phone, at least not yet. You will upgrade your phone again with Odin, no need for Kies or OTA.

I am glad everything has worked out nice for you. All you need to do now is customize your phone to your own liking and enjoy using it.
    Last edited by sa71; 18-01-2013 at 15:19.