Thread: Want to update my Galaxy S but Kies says my device does not support firmware update

Want to update my Galaxy S but Kies says my device does not support firmware update

Hello all,

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 for the past 3 years but I have never updated it's firmware.
    I'm using Android 2.1 (ECLAIR.XFJM1) which came with it when it was brand new.
    I wanted to update to the latest official Galaxy S firmware but Kies says that my device
    does not support firmware update. How is that possible?

I'm from Romania and Kies says that my current firmware version is: PDA:JM1 / PHONE: JM1 / CSC: JM1 (CNX)

Thank you!
    Last edited by cocoazenith; 14-09-2012 at 18:11.

Kies will only give you one update.
    Your phone is about 3 updates out of date.

To bring your phone up to date, you need to use another piece of software called Odin (does the same as Kies - but better!!)
    You also need to download your update firmware from sammobile (look in FIRMWARE and in Search box type i9000)

I have looked and the only firmware for Romania is on Orange network.
    Please can you dial *#1234# to find the firmware on your phone?

Also, dial *#7465625# = Check the phone lock status
    If your phone is not locked then you can install any firmware.

Thank you for your quick answer. I suspected that my old firmware has something to do with this.

I have dialed *#1234# and it says Version / PDA: I9000XFJM1 / PHONE: I9000XXJM1 / CSC: I9000XFJM1
    I dialed the other code and found out that the phone is locked on the network I got the deal from 3 years ago (Vodafone).
    Does this mean that I can't install the firmware?

Also I'm on a Mac computer and I've noticed that Odin is not available, but if necessary I could get a hold of a PC to do this.
    Last edited by cocoazenith; 14-09-2012 at 19:11.

My advice would be to unlock your phone first, then you can use any firmware for your phone.
    To unlock, you will have to root and then install an app from the Play Store to get the unlock code.
    Not difficult .... but do you want to do that?

The alternative is that you install a firmware update, and would suggest the most recent Vodafone firmware.
    However, the one I would suggest is this one for the Czech Republic as Romania only has an Orange firmware.
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=8&view=3947

You may want to look yourself, so do this:
    1. go to FIRMWARE at top of page.
    2. In Search box put i9000.
    This will give you a list of firmware.
    3. In your computer settings select 'find' and put Vod.
    Your Vodafone firmware will be shown.
    Download the one you want.

As you are on a Mac, I would recommend installing the Mobile Odin app from the Play Store.
    Unfortunately you still need to root:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odin.pro&hl=en

The alternative is to use Heimdall - this is a Mac version of Odin.
    Sorry, not used that, but you can find out how to install firmware by Google.

Thank you. That pretty much solves it. In the meantime i've mailed Vodafone RO.
    My phone might be eligible for a legal unlock code from them.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoazenith View Post
    Thank you. That pretty much solves it. In the meantime i've mailed Vodafone RO.
    My phone might be eligible for a legal unlock code from them.
    After 3 years with Vodafone, I would say they should definitely give you the unlock code - in fact I would ask for an updated phone to stay with them.
    Ask for a galaxy S3 - they can only say No

Then ask for an S2. LOL