Thread: "Android OS" - Data consumption & Battery drain while using WLAN

Thumbs up "Android OS" - Data consumption & Battery drain while using WLAN

Hi there!

I'm using the I9100XWLP7 / I9100DBTLP5 (Open Germany) on my Galaxy. And for some weeks now i'm experiencing the following problem:

While online via WLAN, the "Android OS" is starting to consum lots of energy and background data, more than all other apps and system components together. I tried to turn of every possible sync, closed all active data-consuming apps ... no change. It only happens while i'm on WLAN, no matter what WLAN. And i can't see any possibility to figure out, which component of the os is causing this.

I searched the forum ... nothing helpful. I searched google ... lots of useless stuff about a "WLAN bug" or a "Android OS" bug, but nothing that could help.

Any suggestions? Besides waiting for the next update

Hi,

since a few days, I have exactly the same problem, but not directly after I moved to I9100XWLP7.
    And I can't nail it down to a certain application.
    The statistics say "Android OS" 68 % battery consumption, but that is not very helpful.
    Since a few months I'm on ICS, but this is the first time with such a severe battery drain.

I keep on searching for the cause....

Ralf

Yes i noticed the same problem, Android OS eats nearly all of the packet data available, but don't know exactly what it could be.

Hello all,

I'm one important step further:

By using two apps called "BetterBatteryStats" and "CPU Spy", I can say, that the Galaxy gets prevented from proper sleeping by having a high amount of wlan_rx_wake events. There is no real traffic, just some packets.

You can see this also in the WLAN indicator by the flashing orange arrow for incoming packets.
    So something seems to be received from the WLAN router (in my case Fritzbox 6360), which wakes up the Galaxy. Changing from DHCP to static IP does not help and rebooting the router did also not help.

So, I opened a support call at the router manufacturer for clarification.

Will keep you updated,

Ralf

Hello again,

very funny, the problem is solved, but actually I can't for sure say how I did it.
    I changed to static IP, disabled several services and deinstalled some apps.
    The router manufacturer come back to me and confirmed that the router would generate traffic to announce itself, but that should not prevent the Galaxy from deep sleep.

Now all wakeups are due to Exchange not waiting for sychronisation , but perform pushs from the server side.
    But now I'm back to 1.5 days battery and not on 0.5 days as before.

I have to investigate the Exchange configuration now...

Greetings,
    Ralf

I have the same issue with DXLP7 FW from Kies. I have installed Go Power Master and the applications that are running and eating up my battery are:
    1. Bluetooth test
    2. Google Backup Transport
    3. Android System
    4. Security Storage
    5. Settings Storage
    6. TwLauncher

I guess we need to have Android System and Touchwiz always on. However, i do not know why Bluetooth test is always on with the highest consume even when idle. My phone consumes battery from 100% to drained in 4hours and always running hot. I'm still researching for a solution without rooting the phone.

I've read in other forums that there are certain ROMs which have problems going into what they call a "deep sleep state." Officially, you may want to try other ROMs with a different kernel or baseband version (guys please correct me if I'm wrong on this). Also, you may want to investigate further, as there may be apps installed that prevents Android processes to go into such state.

@sonmon63, you may want to try DXLP9 from either Thailand or Singapore. I had the same (poor) battery experience with LP7 (aside from that Wi-Fi bug) and LP9 seemed to address these issues. It's from the same region so it will work on either Globe, Smart or Sun.