Thread: NO SD Card slot - possible solution?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NO SD Card slot - possible solution?

Hi

Im reading that some flagship devices are no longer shipping with SD Slots and are opting to greater onboard storage.

As a user of the SD slot to store customised ringtones and movies, it's very useful to have them stored off-device if, and when, you have to conduct a factory reset.

Not having this off-device solution means that any factory reset wipes everything off - a complete nightmare!

So my question today is that with the advent of greater onboard storage, would it be possible to partition said storage, thus allowing the segregation of contents in a similar way to an sdcard and therefore preventing the loss and inconvenience caused by a factory reset?

Thanks

m

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecat1 View Post
    Hi

Im reading that some flagship devices are no longer shipping with SD Slots and are opting to greater onboard storage.

As a user of the SD slot to store customised ringtones and movies, it's very useful to have them stored off-device if, and when, you have to conduct a factory reset.

Not having this off-device solution means that any factory reset wipes everything off - a complete nightmare!

So my question today is that with the advent of greater onboard storage, would it be possible to partition said storage, thus allowing the segregation of contents in a similar way to an sdcard and therefore preventing the loss and inconvenience caused by a factory reset?

Thanks

m
    Hi there

We dont make firmwares, Samsung does (we are a fan-site)...

Ask directly to Samsung in the Samsung Members, but I doubt if this is possible...

Hi
    thanks for the reply. I only intended it as a discussion in the forum to see what your fans thought and if they had any experience of partitioning storage and if its possible on a phone. If you can partition an SSD or USB stick then why not a phone storage? Just a thought to put out there

best regards

Given how inexpensive a USB stick is, why bother with partitioning it ? You CAN, but WHY BOTHER ? Just get one with adequate capacity for what you want to store and plug it in to your USB port. Given how infrequently most folks factory reset their phones, not much point in finding a better way to do this, IMO. I GUESS you could quibble over the loss of not yet backed up data in an unintended crash, but if it is a hardware failure, e.g. the main board, you are probably going to lose it on the device anyway.