Thread: "AT&T" Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G on Mint Mobile: Updating Firmware? Safe to Flash?

Angry "AT&T" Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G on Mint Mobile: Updating Firmware? Safe to Flash?

I'm pretty frustrated as I purchased an "unlocked" Z Flip 5G, which turned out to be an AT&T-branded device (not unlocked from Samsung as I hoped).

Because I'm not an AT&T subscriber, apparently I cannot download over-the-air updates and am stuck on Android 10.

I considered flashing the device myself with Android 11, but am only seeing two software variants, one for Spint (Sprint?) and T-Mobile.

I'd like to ditch the AT&T firmware in favor of T-Mobile's firmware – but is that safe/possible?

Will loading T-Mobile firmware on my "AT&T" Z Flip 5G brick my device?

This is the update I was considering >> Samsung firmware for the Galaxy Z Flip 5G SM-F707U with product code TMB from USA (T-Mobile). This firmware has version number PDA F707USQS1BUA2 and CSC F707UOYN1BUA2. The operating system of this firmware is Android 11.

PERSONALLY, I would see about returning the thing and getting my money back before trying to undo what AT&T does to ANY device. That said, AT&T is also pretty useless when it come to updates so you would still be likely to stuck on Android 10 even if you were an AT&T subscriber. As for the "safe/possible" question - probably NOT.
    "Welcome" to the nighmare of the U.S.A. market for cellular devices. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick reply even if it's bad news.

Too late to return the phone, sadly. I learned my lesson though.

Coming from an iPhone, this software fragmentation/carrier nonsense is kind of crazy.

So if flashing the phone is a bad idea, is it possible to buy an AT&T prepaid SIM and pop that in to install OTA updates?

What if I have a friend with AT&T.. Could I pop their SIM into my Z Flip to install OTA updates for free?
    Last edited by foxelijah; 19-02-2021 at 20:31.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxelijah View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks for the quick reply even if it's bad news.

Too late to return the phone, sadly. I learned my lesson though.

Coming from an iPhone, this software fragmentation/carrier nonsense is kind of crazy.

So if flashing the phone is a bad idea, is it possible to buy an AT&T prepaid SIM and pop that in to install OTA updates?

What if I have a friend with AT&T.. Could I pop their SIM into my Z Flip to install OTA updates for free?
    Hi there

Could you go to Software Info on your device, screenshot it from top to bottom and post it here?

Probably could use a prepaid SIM for the purpose, but part of the problem is going to be the lack of frequency with which AT&T releases OTA updates in the first place. Let's just say that once they get your cash, they are in no great hurry to stay out on the cutting edge. Providing OTA updates does not equal more revenue - simple as that. With locked down bootloaders and all manner of other restrictions, well, I will personally never again repeat the mistake of getting an AT&T supplied device. Their attitude seems to be that if you want new firmware, you should just get a new device as well, no? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr View Post
    Hi there

Could you go to Software Info on your device, screenshot it from top to bottom and post it here?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT Firmware Android.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	16911

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxelijah View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT Firmware Android.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	16911
    1. Download SmartSwitch for PC (NOT to be used, just for the correct drivers): https://www.sammobile.com/samsung-smart-switch/
    2. Download Odin 3.14.x: https://dl2018.sammobile.com/Odin3-v3.14.4.zip
    3. Download latest firmware for Multi-CSC OYN: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/ga...1BUA7/1406435/

How to flash firmware to your phone:

1. Extract (un-rar) the firmware file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin) ***
    2. Download Odin v3.14.4
    3. Extract Odin ZIP file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin)
    4. Open Odin v3.14.4
    5. Power OFF your Z Flip 5G
    6. Reboot Phone in Download Mode: Connect USB-cable to your computer. Hold down "Volume up" and "Volume down" at same time. While holding down, connect the USB-cable to your phone.
    7. Wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
    8. Add the firmware files to their designated slots (AP in AP, BL in BL, CP in CP, HOME_CSC in CSC). USERDATA stays EMPTY!
    9. Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
    10. Click the start button, sit back and wait few minutes

Note: use USB-A -> USB-C cable

Use SamMobile only if you are 100% sure about the risks involved in flashing your device. SamMobile is not responsible for any damage caused by using the files on this website.