Thread: Samsung updates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Samsung updates

As this is my first thread I would like to say Hi to everyone.

I purchased a pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S20 in December but have not received any automatic security or android updates on the phone. I believe this is due to the phone being of South American origin and me living in the UK with a UK sim installed. Am I right in thinking that if I want to update then I will have to learn to do it manually. I have not delved into the tech or software side of smartphones before and would really appreciate some advice on the subject. I can find my way around computers so I hope I can do the same with a phone.
    Many thanks.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRN View Post
    As this is my first thread I would like to say Hi to everyone.

I purchased a pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S20 in December but have not received any automatic security or android updates on the phone. I believe this is due to the phone being of South American origin and me living in the UK with a UK sim installed. Am I right in thinking that if I want to update then I will have to learn to do it manually. I have not delved into the tech or software side of smartphones before and would really appreciate some advice on the subject. I can find my way around computers so I hope I can do the same with a phone.
    Many thanks.
    Hi there

Could you go to Software Info on your device, screenshot it from top to bottom and post it here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot S1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	16865

Premium Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot S1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	16865
    Hi there

1. Download SmartSwitch for PC (NOT to be used, just for the correct drivers): https://www.sammobile.com/samsung-smart-switch/
    2. Download Odin 3.14.x: https://dl2018.sammobile.com/Odin3-v3.14.4.zip
    3. Download latest firmware for United Kingdom (BTU): https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/ga...6CUA8/1219585/

How to flash firmware to your phone:

1. Extract (un-rar) the firmware file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin) ***
    2. Download Odin v3.14.4
    3. Extract Odin ZIP file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin)
    4. Open Odin v3.14.4
    5. Power OFF your S20
    6. Reboot Phone in Download Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGCQhkfr1iY
    7. Wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
    8. Add the firmware files to their designated slots (AP in AP, BL in BL, CP in CP, HOME_CSC in CSC). USERDATA stays EMPTY!
    9. Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
    10. Click the start button, sit back and wait few minutes

Note: use USB-A -> USB-C cable

Use SamMobile only if you are 100% sure about the risks involved in flashing your device. SamMobile is not responsible for any damage caused by using the files on this website.

Hi again

Many thanks for all your info on manually installing firmware, it really helps a great deal.
    I didn't know you could put UK firmware on a galaxy phone intended for another country, I have learnt a lot about the working of a modern smartphone today.
    I will carry out your instructions to the letter and hope all goes well.

Thanks again for your help

Premium Member
    Hi again

Many thanks for all your info on manually installing firmware, it really helps a great deal.
    I didn't know you could put UK firmware on a galaxy phone intended for another country, I have learnt a lot about the working of a modern smartphone today.
    I will carry out your instructions to the letter and hope all goes well.

Thanks again for your help
    You're welcome

Your phone was already configured for the UK (BTU)