Thread: A50 issues with update

A50 issues with update

I am a newby, and I'm hoping to get some feedback and advice concerning my issue. I got a Galaxy A50 from a friend who had used it on Xfinity Mobile(Verizon network). It was running Android 9. The day before Thanksgiving, I got the unlock code and unlocked it, and activated it with Page Plus, a Tracfone subsidiary, running on Verizon. It worked fine, making and receiving calls and texts. The next morning, as I was not paying attention, I got several security updates and an upgrade to Android 10. Unfortunately, I was not paying too much attention, and allowed them all to be downloaded and installed. Then, I realized I had no service! I called Page Plus, and they could not get it activated again. I then performed a reset, and called the next day, asking for, and getting a tech to help me...it still could not be activated. Since then, I have done multiple factory resets...both with and without the SIM card installed, and both from the settings menu and Recovery mode. I have done multiple network resets....I have installed an AT&T SIIM, to make sure it was unlocked, and to be able to access the "add APN" menu...I added the Page Plus APN settings I found online. When all is said and done, and I reboot, the phone always ends up as Xfinity mobile as the operator. I even got a new Page Plus SIM card to make sure that that was not the problem. I have a Network Analyzer app installed...after the deactivation (I didn't look before), it said that the SIM card was a Verizon card, and that the operator was Xfinity Mobile) Surprisingly, after the December security patch, the name of the SIM card changed to Tracfone......operator still Xfinity. The phone is still unlocked.

So, in trying to figure out what to do...after talking to several phone repair shops, I decided to flash the phone, after discovering this website. I can edit the registry in Windows, and have rooted a couple of older phones, so figured I could do this. I did manage to flash the A 50 without bricking it by carefully following the directions, and making sure all was in order...getting the correct OS download, etc.

Having said all that...I think I still have a problem. The analyzer app still says the operator is Xfinity Mobile, and all the Xfinity Mobile notations and brand are still on the phone. I purposely chose a USA/Verizon OS to flash, making sure the Baseband version numbers matched.....I was hoping that the flashing would eliminate the Xfinity branded software , and install the generic Verizon part. It did not do that...It seems like nothing actually happened, even though the Odin "pass" moe showed. Maybe my expectations are wrong....what else can I do.? I did a factory reset from recovery mode, and selected the full flash, not the Home mode to save my data, but did not include the User Data that came with the download...as the directions did not mention to include it, and a couple of other forum posts said to leave the User Data off. The only other thing to note is that I restored my phone from backups from Samsung and Google, could that have carried the offending info back to the phone? I have not yet attempted to call Page Plus to try and reactivate.

Should I do another flash, doing something different, or is this what I'm stuck with? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarhartman View Post
    I am a newby, and I'm hoping to get some feedback and advice concerning my issue. I got a Galaxy A50 from a friend who had used it on Xfinity Mobile(Verizon network). It was running Android 9. The day before Thanksgiving, I got the unlock code and unlocked it, and activated it with Page Plus, a Tracfone subsidiary, running on Verizon. It worked fine, making and receiving calls and texts. The next morning, as I was not paying attention, I got several security updates and an upgrade to Android 10. Unfortunately, I was not paying too much attention, and allowed them all to be downloaded and installed. Then, I realized I had no service! I called Page Plus, and they could not get it activated again. I then performed a reset, and called the next day, asking for, and getting a tech to help me...it still could not be activated. Since then, I have done multiple factory resets...both with and without the SIM card installed, and both from the settings menu and Recovery mode. I have done multiple network resets....I have installed an AT&T SIIM, to make sure it was unlocked, and to be able to access the "add APN" menu...I added the Page Plus APN settings I found online. When all is said and done, and I reboot, the phone always ends up as Xfinity mobile as the operator. I even got a new Page Plus SIM card to make sure that that was not the problem. I have a Network Analyzer app installed...after the deactivation (I didn't look before), it said that the SIM card was a Verizon card, and that the operator was Xfinity Mobile) Surprisingly, after the December security patch, the name of the SIM card changed to Tracfone......operator still Xfinity. The phone is still unlocked.

So, in trying to figure out what to do...after talking to several phone repair shops, I decided to flash the phone, after discovering this website. I can edit the registry in Windows, and have rooted a couple of older phones, so figured I could do this. I did manage to flash the A 50 without bricking it by carefully following the directions, and making sure all was in order...getting the correct OS download, etc.

Having said all that...I think I still have a problem. The analyzer app still says the operator is Xfinity Mobile, and all the Xfinity Mobile notations and brand are still on the phone. I purposely chose a USA/Verizon OS to flash, making sure the Baseband version numbers matched.....I was hoping that the flashing would eliminate the Xfinity branded software , and install the generic Verizon part. It did not do that...It seems like nothing actually happened, even though the Odin "pass" moe showed. Maybe my expectations are wrong....what else can I do.? I did a factory reset from recovery mode, and selected the full flash, not the Home mode to save my data, but did not include the User Data that came with the download...as the directions did not mention to include it, and a couple of other forum posts said to leave the User Data off. The only other thing to note is that I restored my phone from backups from Samsung and Google, could that have carried the offending info back to the phone? I have not yet attempted to call Page Plus to try and reactivate.

Should I do another flash, doing something different, or is this what I'm stuck with? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi there

I hope, some other US-readers can help you...

Unfortunately I can't help you, because I don't have experience with US-phones at all: it's always a mess with those carriers, updates etc...