Thread: Galaxy A8 - data recovery, software reset

Galaxy A8 - data recovery, software reset

Hi everyone!

I have 2 questions regarding Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018), maybe somebody can help

During software update phone probably ran out of battery. When I try to switch it on now, black starting screen Samsung Galaxy A8 appears and shortly after small red message in the top left corner KERNEL REV CHECK FAIL DEVICE 15 BINARY 14. Then everything dissapears and phone stays switched off. I was told by the technician that if message like this is shown, data (pictures, contacts etc) was lost. Is that right? There is no other way to recover those datas from the phone directly (I don't have them saved in the cloud).

Second thing, the phone has broken Volume Up key, therefore I can't switch DOWNLOAD MODE on in order to try to reset the system (even agreeing to loose all data). I was told first to fix the key, then phone can be reinstated.
    Once again, there is no other way? On daily basis I was using Volume Down key and screen to regulate the volume,

Thank you in advance

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mp1973 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I have 2 questions regarding Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018), maybe somebody can help

During software update phone probably ran out of battery. When I try to switch it on now, black starting screen Samsung Galaxy A8 appears and shortly after small red message in the top left corner KERNEL REV CHECK FAIL DEVICE 15 BINARY 14. Then everything dissapears and phone stays switched off. I was told by the technician that if message like this is shown, data (pictures, contacts etc) was lost. Is that right? There is no other way to recover those datas from the phone directly (I don't have them saved in the cloud).

Second thing, the phone has broken Volume Up key, therefore I can't switch DOWNLOAD MODE on in order to try to reset the system (even agreeing to loose all data). I was told first to fix the key, then phone can be reinstated.
    Once again, there is no other way? On daily basis I was using Volume Down key and screen to regulate the volume,

Thank you in advance
    Hi there

The phone was not reset, so the info should still be there on your phone

When you phone is switched of, are you still able to enter the DOWNLOAD-mode?

I am able to enter the first screen of DOWNLOAD mode (by pressing volume and power buttons all together).
    Unfortunately when having options:
    Volume up: continue
    Volume down: cancel (restart phone)
    I can't select Continue because Volume up button is not working in my phone,

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mp1973 View Post
    I am able to enter the first screen of DOWNLOAD mode (by pressing volume and power buttons all together).
    Unfortunately when having options:
    Volume up: continue
    Volume down: cancel (restart phone)
    I can't select Continue because Volume up button is not working in my phone,
    Then I'm afraid a visit to a Samsung Service Point is necessary...

Maybe you can try the Android recovery tool, it may fix your phone.
    Last edited by linedar11; 18-09-2021 at 17:32.