Thread: USA stock firmware carrier switch Boost (Sprint) -> Verizon

Question USA stock firmware carrier switch Boost (Sprint) -> Verizon

Hi All,

I'm new to Samsung devices though a longtime Linux and Android user. My wife recently received a Galaxy 8S SM-G950U from a friend. It's carrier locked to Sprint (by way of Boost), but she uses Verizon. Her friend initiated the UICC unlock and it sounds like that should go through in a day or two. So far so good. To get rid of all the Boost crud, (and maybe get OTA upgrades???) I want to flash the stock Verizon firmware for her device. I downloaded the firmware from [ Login above or register to see download links. ] and think I am ready to go with JOdin or heimdall (the heimdall sticky was very helpful). I have some questions; any assistance much appreciated:
    1. Can I do this? (Replace Boost stock with Verizon stock firmware)
    2. Should I do this? (I'm open to other suggestions.)
    3. Does she have any hope of OTA upgrades afterwards?
    4. What is the USERDATA_VZW_*.tar.md5 do? (None of the Odin threads/sites seem to mention it)

Thank you so much; this seems like a really amazing community,
    vale

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by valecs [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi All,

I'm new to Samsung devices though a longtime Linux and Android user. My wife recently received a Galaxy 8S SM-G950U from a friend. It's carrier locked to Sprint (by way of Boost), but she uses Verizon. Her friend initiated the UICC unlock and it sounds like that should go through in a day or two. So far so good. To get rid of all the Boost crud, (and maybe get OTA upgrades???) I want to flash the stock Verizon firmware for her device. I downloaded the firmware from [ Login above or register to see download links. ] and think I am ready to go with JOdin or heimdall (the heimdall sticky was very helpful). I have some questions; any assistance much appreciated:
    1. Can I do this? (Replace Boost stock with Verizon stock firmware)
    2. Should I do this? (I'm open to other suggestions.)
    3. Does she have any hope of OTA upgrades afterwards?
    4. What is the USERDATA_VZW_*.tar.md5 do? (None of the Odin threads/sites seem to mention it)

Thank you so much; this seems like a really amazing community,
    vale
    Hi there

I hope, some US readers can help you with this...

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with US-firmwares, USERDATA, Heimdall etc...