Thread: Galaxy S7 with blank CSC not receiving OTA updates

Galaxy S7 with blank CSC not receiving OTA updates

Hi all,

I've had a Galaxy S7 for a couple of years, bought second hand unlocked in the UK.

The 'phone was bought new on Vodaphone (confirmed by IMEI check and there were some branded apps installed), and then unlocked by the original owner and sold to me. I've used Virgin and now 3 mobile SIMs in the device. I recently changed to 3 mobile as they support WiFi calling on the S7.
    Unfortunately for me I seem to be stuck on Android 6.0.1 and OTA updates aren't working, so no WiFi calling option. SmartSwitch also says no updates available.

I did some digging, trying PhoneINFO app and Sammobile apps, but both report a blank CSC - which I'm guessing is why no updates?

SamMobile Device Info says:

Product Code SM-G930FZKA
    PDA G930FXXU1BPL2
    CSC [this is just blank!]
    Baseband G930FXXU1APEQ
    Bootloader G930FXXU1APF3

Any suggestions please on how to get an Android update and enable OTA updates?
    Is it Odin and flash? -> If so, which CSC should I use and what process should I follow?

Many thanks!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by amstrange1 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi all,

I've had a Galaxy S7 for a couple of years, bought second hand unlocked in the UK.

The 'phone was bought new on Vodaphone (confirmed by IMEI check and there were some branded apps installed), and then unlocked by the original owner and sold to me. I've used Virgin and now 3 mobile SIMs in the device. I recently changed to 3 mobile as they support WiFi calling on the S7.
    Unfortunately for me I seem to be stuck on Android 6.0.1 and OTA updates aren't working, so no WiFi calling option. SmartSwitch also says no updates available.

I did some digging, trying PhoneINFO app and Sammobile apps, but both report a blank CSC - which I'm guessing is why no updates?

SamMobile Device Info says:

Product Code SM-G930FZKA
    PDA G930FXXU1BPL2
    CSC [this is just blank!]
    Baseband G930FXXU1APEQ
    Bootloader G930FXXU1APF3

Any suggestions please on how to get an Android update and enable OTA updates?
    Is it Odin and flash? -> If so, which CSC should I use and what process should I follow?

Many thanks!
    Hi there

Obviously, someone messed with your device; I don't see the productcode of your device, it should be SM-G930FZKA***

My advice? Leave it this way and don't mess with it...

If you still want to flash your device: [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Flash AP BL CP & CSC_H3G with Odin 3.14.x. Your SIM-card must be IN your device while flashing. Your device will reset afterwards which is mandatory!

Use SamMobile only if you are 100% sure about the risks involved in flashing your device. SamMobile is not responsible for any damage caused by using the files on this website.

Thank you for the response.

It seems blank CSC is a fairly common thing with unlocked devices originally bought on Vodaphone. Not sure why, or what that means though!

If I flash as you described, do I also need to re-partition?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by amstrange1 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thank you for the response.

It seems blank CSC is a fairly common thing with unlocked devices originally bought on Vodaphone. Not sure why, or what that means though!

If I flash as you described, do I also need to re-partition?
    Don't touch the options in Odin; use the default ones

My understanding from reading other threads was that if you're changing the CSC you need to re-partition. Is this incorrect?

The phone would be going from blank to H3G, so that's why I was asking.

Administrator
    My understanding from reading other threads was that if you're changing the CSC you need to re-partition. Is this incorrect?

The phone would be going from blank to H3G, so that's why I was asking.
    Don't touch the default options in Odin

Please could you be so kind as to explain the reason?

Administrator
    Please could you be so kind as to explain the reason?
    We advise the flashers not to change the default settings of Odin. When do do change the settings, there might be a chance your device will brick.

In the CSC-file there's a PIT-file, which will automatically reset your device.