Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Samsung Note 9 SM-N960U, FW update for Verizon or Xfinity ? VZW/XAA/CHA

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5

    Samsung Note 9 SM-N960U, FW update for Verizon or Xfinity ? VZW/XAA/CHA

    i bought a used Note 9 off of a Swappa seller. The phone boots up to a Verizon splash screen. I'm with Red Pocket CDMAV (Verizon). The phone has the January 1, 2020 as the Android security patch level. Its running 2.0 One UI. The Baseband version is N960USQU3DTA4. This phone is about 5-6 updates behind. I do not get OTA updates as you can guess.

    First question: based on the Service Provider SW field showing VZW/XAA/CHA, is this phone truly a Verizon issued phone or was it sold by Xfinity since it has the CHA on the end?

    Both the Verizon FW and Xfinity FW baseband versions shown on Sammobile have the same FW versions for Verizon (VZW) and Xfinity/comcast (CHA). It is well known that Xfinity "leases" service from Verizon. So, Xfinity cell phones are really using the Verizon towers for cell phone service.

    Is this an Xfinity phone or an Verizon phone?

    Should I download and install the Verizon FW or the Xfinity Fw from Sammobile?

    Do I have to download the Feb, then March, then April.... FW versions until the last one, or do I just download the last one?

    One last question: What is the difference between FW listed under PDA and CSC?

    Based on the answers I receive I may have more questions.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by SamsungSkooch [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    i bought a used Note 9 off of a Swappa seller. The phone boots up to a Verizon splash screen. I'm with Red Pocket CDMAV (Verizon). The phone has the January 1, 2020 as the Android security patch level. Its running 2.0 One UI. The Baseband version is N960USQU3DTA4. This phone is about 5-6 updates behind. I do not get OTA updates as you can guess.

    First question: based on the Service Provider SW field showing VZW/XAA/CHA, is this phone truly a Verizon issued phone or was it sold by Xfinity since it has the CHA on the end?

    Both the Verizon FW and Xfinity FW baseband versions shown on Sammobile have the same FW versions for Verizon (VZW) and Xfinity/comcast (CHA). It is well known that Xfinity "leases" service from Verizon. So, Xfinity cell phones are really using the Verizon towers for cell phone service.

    Is this an Xfinity phone or an Verizon phone?

    Should I download and install the Verizon FW or the Xfinity Fw from Sammobile?

    Do I have to download the Feb, then March, then April.... FW versions until the last one, or do I just download the last one?

    One last question: What is the difference between FW listed under PDA and CSC?

    Based on the answers I receive I may have more questions.
    Hi there

    Could you go to Software Info on your device, screenshot it from top to bottom and post it here?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    It took two pictures to capture all the items on the software information screen. If they don't get uploaded I'll try again.

    [ Login above or register to see download links. ][ Login above or register to see download links. ]

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by SamsungSkooch [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    It took two pictures to capture all the items on the software information screen. If they don't get uploaded I'll try again.

    [ Login above or register to see download links. ][ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks

    This is the latest firmware for your device: [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

    Do you know how to use Odin?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks

    This is the latest firmware for your device: [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

    Do you know how to use Odin?
    So, you point to an Xfinity FW file. This happens to be the same FW file for Verizon (VZW) too !

    Would you say this was a Xfinity phone - meaning - it was bought from Xfinity and used on their network first, then reset to factory default and sold (to me) as a Verizon (unlocked phone)?

    I downloaded Odin and I did see the instructions on how to use it on other posts you replied to.

    When the FW file is downloaded and extracted in to a folder, will it be easy to recognize which file is the BL, AP, CP, and CSC to place in to their appropriate fields?

    do I have to delete/remove my Google account AND Samsung account from the phone per the instructions on the first page of Odin screen - see attached?
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

    thanks.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by SamsungSkooch [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    So, you point to an Xfinity FW file. This happens to be the same FW file for Verizon (VZW) too !

    Would you say this was a Xfinity phone - meaning - it was bought from Xfinity and used on their network first, then reset to factory default and sold (to me) as a Verizon (unlocked phone)?

    I downloaded Odin and I did see the instructions on how to use it on other posts you replied to.

    When the FW file is downloaded and extracted in to a folder, will it be easy to recognize which file is the BL, AP, CP, and CSC to place in to their appropriate fields?

    do I have to delete/remove my Google account AND Samsung account from the phone per the instructions on the first page of Odin screen - see attached?
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

    thanks.
    It's Multi-CSC firmware; the link of the firmware is correct

    Ignore the Odin message

    Flash AP BL CP & HOME_CSC

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    It's Multi-CSC firmware; the link of the firmware is correct

    Ignore the Odin message

    Flash AP BL CP & HOME_CSC
    I'll try the FW update tomorrow. But one more question. It is my understanding that I only have to download and install the FW file in your link. I am under the assumption I don't have to load the FW files from Feb, March, April...just only this last one from July. This last one will have all the previous monthly updates in it, is that correct?

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by SamsungSkooch [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I'll try the FW update tomorrow. But one more question. It is my understanding that I only have to download and install the FW file in your link. I am under the assumption I don't have to load the FW files from Feb, March, April...just only this last one from July. This last one will have all the previous monthly updates in it, is that correct?
    Yes, that's correct

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Thank You Henklbr and thanks to SamMobile for providing this service which the carriers and manufactures cannot do or coordinate between themselves.

    The phone updated to One UI 2.1 and all my data was retained in the phone.

    I hope to start getting OTA updates from this point forward.
    Is there any news about the Note 9 getting One UI 2.5 ?

    Oh, one more thing. I noticed at the top of the Download Mode downloading screen on the phone the first two lines said this:
    RPMB Fuse Blown
    RPMB Provisioned

    What does "fuse blown" mean?
    I'm an electrical engineer so I know in my world what a fuse blown means. But what does it mean in the download screen on my phone?
    Last edited by SamsungSkooch; 15-08-2020 at 18:25.

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by SamsungSkooch [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thank You Henklbr and thanks to SamMobile for providing this service which the carriers and manufactures cannot do or coordinate between themselves.

    The phone updated to One UI 2.1 and all my data was retained in the phone.

    I hope to start getting OTA updates from this point forward.
    Is there any news about the Note 9 getting One UI 2.5 ?

    Oh, one more thing. I noticed at the top of the Download Mode downloading screen on the phone the first two lines said this:
    RPMB Fuse Blown
    RPMB Provisioned

    What does "fuse blown" mean?
    I'm an electrical engineer so I know in my world what a fuse blown means. But what does it mean in the download screen on my phone?
    I hope you'll get OTA-updates, but US-firmwares and OTA-updates...

    About OneUI 2.5, we don't have information if the Note9 will get it.

    Enjoy your update and have a good weekend

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •