Thread: how to install costume recovery (TWRP) on my old SM-N900 without root

how to install costume recovery (TWRP) on my old SM-N900 without root

Hello

is there a way to install custom recovery (TWRP) on my old SM-N900 without root , I already tried to do so using Odin but when restarting it takes me back to the stock recovery, I'm not very fan of rooting so I prefer a way without rooting my device and if there is a way to revert back to stock recovery mode if I'm done with the custom one

Thanks

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sojaili [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hello

is there a way to install custom recovery (TWRP) on my old SM-N900 without root , I already tried to do so using Odin but when restarting it takes me back to the stock recovery, I'm not very fan of rooting so I prefer a way without rooting my device and if there is a way to revert back to stock recovery mode if I'm done with the custom one

Thanks
    Hi there

We don't give support in modifying firmware

Maybe other readers can help you

Lightbulb The damage is already done, so ......

We shall see if the powers that be allow this post to remain, as it deals with decidedly unsupported topics.

First, you are proceeding at your own risk. If you turn your phone into a paperweight, don't say you weren't warned. Unfortunately, you are on your own.

You probably left Odin set to auto re-boot when it was finished, in which case you're probably tripped the flags for having "tampered" with your device. If the Note 3's (before my time with Samsung devices) came with Knox, you're tripped it, so you will most likely have to root your device at least temporarily to edit the build.prop file to allow certain Samsung supplied apps to run on your now "modified in an unauthorized way" device. You can always un-root it after that if you want to, but most rooting packages let you disable root and hide the fact that the device is rooted. Certainly on a Note 3 that should be the case. My rooted S6 phones do just fine. There are plenty of posts over on XDA about this, so happy hunting. As to fixing the TWRP thing, turn auto re-boot OFF in Odin and re-flash it. When you are done, unplug your device from the PC and boot directly into recovery mode. What is most likely causing your problem is that if you don't re-boot directly into TWRP after flashing it, the startup cycle in the ROM restores the stock recovery when it detects it has been altered. When you boot directly into TWRP, it patches around that. You should only need to do that the first time.

You can revert back to the stock recovery by re-flashing a complete ROM - which does NOT have to destroy your existing data - see lots of posts here about that. The question would be WHY ON EARTH you would want to do that after you have replaced the generic, rather limited, stock recovery with something much more useful? Once you have flashed TWRP onto the device, the genie is out of the bottle, anyway. Once your trip Knox, it stays tripped. Think of it as blowing a non-replaceable fuse. Actually, it's a great device security feature unless you want to exert any control over what you do with your own device.

As for TWRP, I've always liked the fact that it removes your backup capability from depending on Google or Samsung servers, which is of course precisely why they don't like it. It allows you to keep YOUR information PRIVATE.

Good Luck
    Last edited by dryfire; 16-08-2020 at 09:06.