Thread: Which S20? Europe/exynos or HK/snapdragon?

Which S20? Europe/exynos or HK/snapdragon?

I live in Greece. Based on all I've read, the exynos S20 isn't as good as the snapdragon version for battery (my #1 issue), general performance, and graphics. I can get a pretty decent price on the HK one. It supports all the bands Vodafone-Greece uses, and it comes with 12gb ram (instead of 8gb) and some 5G ability. 5G won't exist here for a while, so that's unimportant to me. Normally, the no-brainer answer is to buy the HK S20, but I am already aware that Samsung Greece will not honor the warranty because it's from a non-EU region (thought I think there is a recent EU law that says they must). So, a couple of questions before I make a purchase:
    - What won't work in Europe, like VOLTE?
    - Will I get the normal OTA updates (Android 11 and security patches) or will I have to download and install the firmwares updates myself from here?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccorax9 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I live in Greece. Based on all I've read, the exynos S20 isn't as good as the snapdragon version for battery (my #1 issue), general performance, and graphics. I can get a pretty decent price on the HK one. It supports all the bands Vodafone-Greece uses, and it comes with 12gb ram (instead of 8gb) and some 5G ability. 5G won't exist here for a while, so that's unimportant to me. Normally, the no-brainer answer is to buy the HK S20, but I am already aware that Samsung Greece will not honor the warranty because it's from a non-EU region (thought I think there is a recent EU law that says they must). So, a couple of questions before I make a purchase:
    - What won't work in Europe, like VOLTE?
    - Will I get the normal OTA updates (Android 11 and security patches) or will I have to download and install the firmwares updates myself from here?
    Hi there

VoLTE, VoWiFi and probably more nerwork related things won't work; you can't install European firmware on it...

You probably get OTA-updates; about Warranty: Samsung GR will give (probably) limited warranty

Thanks for your reply. Vodafone here doesn't have VoLTE or VoWifi at this time, so that doesn't affect me. As to the warranty, I've read that the EU warranty law was updated to require that companies like Samsung support devices purchased outside the EU. I need to research that more. I have heard that carrier aggregation could also be a problem and that's important. Trading higher transfer speeds on the inferior exynos for better battery, etc. on the Snapdragon. I have always resented Samsung for forcing that choice on customers.

For what it is worth ..... Personal experience with getting ANY support from Samsung on an HK version Galaxy S device in the EU is completely negative, whatever one says about the EU warranty laws or not. Also, even though this site does not support activities such as rooting, or even installing a different recovery, it is a real pain to do on the HK variants as opposed to the standard international Exynos versions. Other folks might have different experiences altogether, but if you are the kind of person who might keep a device after Samsung stops providing updates, I recommend you avoid the HK units. Rooted Galaxy S6 phones are no longer the daily drivers at home but are still very useful, and there are custom ROMs for most late model Samsung phones that are both current and very functional, although some of the Samsung apps make it worth keeping the stock ROM, and there seem to be an assortment of voice call sound issues with the custom ROMs,

Hope that is useful. Good Luck.