Thread: Getting the right PIT file SM-900F

Getting the right PIT file SM-900F

Hi - a noob question - I'm having a go at restoring my old SM-G900F S5 which appears to be soft bricked. It will accept a firmware flash using Odin and that goes sucessfully, but it doesn't resolve the no boot issue. I'm wondering if the partitions are messed up and thought I'd have nothing to lose by trying a PIT reflash.

The thing is when I found a PIT file on the net they are always - 'make sure you choose the right file! and then you get a list like this:

SM-G900F DTM
    SM-G900F EVR
    SM-G900F GBL
    and so on
    I'm not clear on what the significance of those 3 letters are?

There also seems to be importance with the hidden partition number -I don't know where to find this out.

Is it the case that there's only one PIT file for the S5 anyway?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by gweitz; 05-07-2020 at 18:34.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gweitz [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi - a noob question - I'm having a go at restoring my old SM-G900F S5 which appears to be soft bricked. It will accept a firmware flash using Odin and that goes sucessfully, but it doesn't resolve the no boot issue. I'm wondering if the partitions are messed up and thought I'd have nothing to lose by trying a PIT reflash.

The thing is when I found a PIT file on the net they are always - 'make sure you choose the right file! and then you get a list like this:

SM-G900F DTM
    SM-G900F EVR
    SM-G900F GBL
    and so on
    I'm not clear on what the significance of those 3 letters are?

There also seems to be importance with the hidden partition number -I don't know where to find this out.

Is it the case that there's only one PIT file for the S5 anyway?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi there

If the flashing goed OK, then the partitions on your device are OK too...

Obviously there's something else wrong with your device...

Go to a Samsung Service Point and let it checked...

Thanks for that - I did in the end find a PIT file and made sense of it. And as you say - It didn't help the no-boot. I'm treating this as a learning exercise as I'd like to know more about what the average person can do with phones. i don't really like just chucking them away without even trying.

I guess a samsung service point will just laugh at an old S5 - you can buy another one off ebay for less than it costs to have them look at it probably...

But what you say is useful - if the partitions are ok then can I assume the internal storage is not broken? So I think I'd need to understand something more about the boot process of a phone.