Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Galaxy S9 Not Getting Updates - Options/Solution?

Verizon Galaxy S9 Not Getting Updates - Options/Solution?

Hi Everyone, I purchased a used Galaxy S9 last winter which was advertised as being a Verizon S9. It's been working fine, but I've noticed it's not getting OTA updates and none are available when using Smart Switch. I'm using the phone (an have always used it) with Verizon and a Verizon SIM. It's still running Android 9, and would like to find out why updates are not happening. I've searched the forum for others with the same problem - found some similar ones, but nothing matches what I have.

The following are the phone details (note: using this in the US where it was originally purchased):

Model: SM-G960U

One UI: 1.0

Android: 9

Baseband Ver: G960USQU6ASG1

Kernel: 4.9.112, #2 Tue Jul 16 22:24:19 KST 2019

Build: PPR1.180610.011.G960USQS6CSGB

Service Provider SW:
    SAOMC_SM-G960U_OYN_VZW_PP_0045
    394d49464b303098
    VZW/VZW/TMB

Android Security Patch Level: July 1, 2019

I imagine the problem is the "TMB" at the end of VZW/VZW/TMB but I have no idea how to fix it. I've read about Odin and applying stock firmware (absolutely no interest in rooting the phone) and understand the Odin FW flash process will wipe all data and I can work with that. BUT - will that fix the problem of not being able to get OTA or Smart Switch updates?

Also, I've been taking backups using SmartSwitch - what data/settings get lost (if any) when restoring back to the phone using SmartSwitch? Is it as straightforward as what I see my Apple friends doing with iTunes restores - when done they're back up and running with everything they had before the reset/restore?

Thanks - happy to post additional info as needed.

bobp67

Administrator
    No, the problem are the US-carriers...

Current firmware on your device, was never released for Verizon; the Product-code of your device is T-Mobile. The Verizon configuration was automatically set to VZW by inserting your SIM-card...
    Flash your device with Odin once, after that you'll get OTA again

1. Download SmartSwitch for PC (NOT to be used, just for the drivers): [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    2. Download Odin 3.14.x: [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    3. Download latest firmware for Verizon (VZW): [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

How to flash firmware to your phone:

1. Extract (un-rar) the firmware file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin) ***
    2. Download [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    3. Extract Odin ZIP file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin)
    4. Open Odin v3.14.1
    5. Power OFF your S9
    6. Reboot Phone in Download Mode: Hold down Vol-UP & Power; scroll in Recovery to "Boot to Bootloader". Connect your S9 to your PC
    7. Wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
    8. Add the firmware files to their designated slots (AP in AP, BL in BL, CP in CP, HOME_CSC in CSC). USERDATA stays EMPTY!
    9. Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
    10. Click the start button, sit back and wait few minutes

Hi henklbr, thanks for the info. I've been looking through forum posts and some odds and ends on other sites and have found a few things I'm not clear on:

1. Some sites talk about removing the Google and Samsung accounts before running the Odin re-flash process or you risk being locked out of the phone after the reboot. Not sure this makes sense to me but wondering if it's something that's necessary.
    2. Some in this forum have reported re-flashing and no loss of data or factory reset - in other words, they seem to pick tight up where they were before the re-flash with nothing to restore or reconfigure - is this the case or should I expect a factory reset as part of the process?
    3. Is this the right image to use in my situation - Country: USA (Verizon) (VZW), Date: 2020-05-27, Version: 10, PDA: G960USQS7DTE1, CSC: G960UOYN7DTE1

Note: I'm fine with moving to Android 10, it's not my main concern - re-enabling OWA security updates are but if I'm going through this process it seems to make sense to move to 10

Sorry for all the additional questions but thanks for the help!

bobp67

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobp67 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi henklbr, thanks for the info. I've been looking through forum posts and some odds and ends on other sites and have found a few things I'm not clear on:

1. Some sites talk about removing the Google and Samsung accounts before running the Odin re-flash process or you risk being locked out of the phone after the reboot. Not sure this makes sense to me but wondering if it's something that's necessary.
    2. Some in this forum have reported re-flashing and no loss of data or factory reset - in other words, they seem to pick tight up where they were before the re-flash with nothing to restore or reconfigure - is this the case or should I expect a factory reset as part of the process?
    3. Is this the right image to use in my situation - Country: USA (Verizon) (VZW), Date: 2020-05-27, Version: 10, PDA: G960USQS7DTE1, CSC: G960UOYN7DTE1

Note: I'm fine with moving to Android 10, it's not my main concern - re-enabling OWA security updates are but if I'm going through this process it seems to make sense to move to 10

Sorry for all the additional questions but thanks for the help!

bobp67
    1. ignore that pop-up in Odin 3.14.x
    2. Follow procedures I posted and no data is lost
    3. it's Multi-CSC OYN -> correct firmware

Process was quick and pretty easy, unfortunately when the phone powered back on after the firmware update it had factory reset - I had to set it up from scratch.

I had used SmartSwitch to take a backup before the Odin flash, so I didn't lose any of my data but I did have to set everything up again.

Phone seems to be working well, curious to see what happens when the next OTA security update is released, hoping updates start working again.

Thanks,
    bobp67

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobp67 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Process was quick and pretty easy, unfortunately when the phone powered back on after the firmware update it had factory reset - I had to set it up from scratch.

I had used SmartSwitch to take a backup before the Odin flash, so I didn't lose any of my data but I did have to set everything up again.

Phone seems to be working well, curious to see what happens when the next OTA security update is released, hoping updates start working again.

Thanks,
    bobp67
    Reset? Then you have used the wrong CSC-file...

You're up-to-date now...

I downloaded the one that was recommended, never done it before - so I went with that info.

bobp67

Administrator
    I downloaded the one that was recommended, never done it before - so I went with that info.

bobp67
    8. Add the firmware files to their designated slots (AP in AP, BL in BL, CP in CP, HOME_CSC in CSC)

You probably used CSC_OYN -> that one will reset your device...

henklbr, I'm sure that's probably what I did. Just tried it again using HOME_CSC and it rebooted with no reset and seems to be working fine. I'm still a bit concerned with the Service Provider SW version, it's still showing VZW/VZW/TMB - will that affect my ability to get future OTA updates given I'm a Verizon customer?

[ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Thanks,
    bobp67

Administrator
    henklbr, I'm sure that's probably what I did. Just tried it again using HOME_CSC and it rebooted with no reset and seems to be working fine. I'm still a bit concerned with the Service Provider SW version, it's still showing VZW/VZW/TMB - will that affect my ability to get future OTA updates given I'm a Verizon customer?

[ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Thanks,
    bobp67
    I really don't know: sorry...

Always a guess with US-carriers...