Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verizon Galaxy S9 Not Getting Updates - Options/Solution?

No problem, henklbr - if I don't get them automatically then I'll just use Odin again with the newest FW. Now that I learned my lesson about paying attention to what I put in the CSC field it's pretty painless.

I appreciate all your help - thank you!

bobp67

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobp67 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    No problem, henklbr - if I don't get them automatically then I'll just use Odin again with the newest FW. Now that I learned my lesson about paying attention to what I put in the CSC field it's pretty painless.

I appreciate all your help - thank you!

bobp67
    You're welcome

Have a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by bobp67 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi Everyone, I purchased a used Galaxy S9 last winter which was advertised as being a Verizon S9. It's been working fine, but I've noticed it's not getting OTA updates and none are available when using Smart Switch. I'm using the phone (an have always used it) with Verizon and a Verizon SIM. It's still running Android 9, and would like to find out why updates are not happening. I've searched the forum for others with the same problem - found some similar ones, but nothing matches what I have.

The following are the phone details (note: using this in the US where it was originally purchased):

Model: SM-G960U

One UI: 1.0

Android: 9

Baseband Ver: G960USQU6ASG1

Kernel: 4.9.112, #2 Tue Jul 16 22:24:19 KST 2019

Build: PPR1.180610.011.G960USQS6CSGB

Service Provider SW:
    SAOMC_SM-G960U_OYN_VZW_PP_0045
    394d49464b303098
    VZW/VZW/TMB

Android Security Patch Level: July 1, 2019

I imagine the problem is the "TMB" at the end of VZW/VZW/TMB but I have no idea how to fix it. I've read about Odin and applying stock firmware (absolutely no interest in rooting the phone) and understand the Odin FW flash process will wipe all data and I can work with that. BUT - will that fix the problem of not being able to get OTA or Smart Switch updates?

Also, I've been taking backups using SmartSwitch - what data/settings get lost (if any) when restoring back to the phone using SmartSwitch? Is it as straightforward as what I see my Apple friends doing with iTunes restores - when done they're back up and running with everything they had before the reset/restore?

Thanks - happy to post additional info as needed.

bobp67
    @bobp67 I have a notepad 8 and unlimited data but it wasn't till I turned the wifi on the phone and logged into my home wifi that all of sudden everything updates the firmware and security so try that and see what happens

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hey Santos2250, the phone has always been connected to Wi-Fi so I'm guessing it's not the problem in my case.

Thanks,
    bobp67