Thread: Unlocked s10 - which firmware to choose

Unlocked s10 - which firmware to choose

Please help.

My new Galaxy S10 arrived today and Samsung Pay won't work because I'm in the UK, and the phone is from Hungary. It's unlocked and I'm planning on putting my UK Virgin Media SIM in it, but when I look for related firmware, the only UK options are "EE", "O2", etc.

Am I supposed to install the "BTU" version (as the phone is unlocked), or does it not matter which of the carrier versions I choose?

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never done this before, and don't want to brick my new phone.

Many thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefed [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Please help.

My new Galaxy S10 arrived today and Samsung Pay won't work because I'm in the UK, and the phone is from Hungary. It's unlocked and I'm planning on putting my UK Virgin Media SIM in it, but when I look for related firmware, the only UK options are "EE", "O2", etc.

Am I supposed to install the "BTU" version (as the phone is unlocked), or does it not matter which of the carrier versions I choose?

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never done this before, and don't want to brick my new phone.

Many thanks in advance.
    Hi there

Could you go to Software Info on your device, screenshot it from top to bottom and post it here?
    Your SIM must be in your device...

[ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Here you go.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefed [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Here you go.
    Thanks for the screenshot

Your SIM is correctly recognized: XEU

Didn't you got a pop-up "SIM-card changed" (probably in Hungarian language)?

In order to get the active CSC to XEU too, you need to RESET your device while your SIM-card is IN your phone...

Power off your S10. Hold down VolUP & Power simultaneously till you get a blue Android screen. You are in the recovery menu.
    Go to RESET your device.
    After reset, when you get a POP-UP, probably in Hungarian, "SIM-card changed": accept. Your device will re-start and, if everything went OK, start-up in the English language...

Hi Henklbr, thank you for the prompt response. I did restart the phone after installing the SIM card, and it is in English language, but the Samsung Pay app says it is not supported on the device and I believe that is because the firmware is rooted in Hungary. I was thinking flashing the firmware to the UK version would solve this issue. Are you saying that if I factory reset the phone from the Recovery Menu (with SIM card installed), Samsung Pay will then work? Having logged into various apps / accounts, I don't want to reset unless it's going to solve the issue with Samsung Pay.

Does that make sense? Sorry, I always considered myself quite tech savvy, but know so little about phone operating systems.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Hi Henklbr, thank you for the prompt response. I did restart the phone after installing the SIM card, and it is in English language, but the Samsung Pay app says it is not supported on the device and I believe that is because the firmware is rooted in Hungary. I was thinking flashing the firmware to the UK version would solve this issue. Are you saying that if I factory reset the phone from the Recovery Menu (with SIM card installed), Samsung Pay will then work? Having logged into various apps / accounts, I don't want to reset unless it's going to solve the issue with Samsung Pay.

Does that make sense? Sorry, I always considered myself quite tech savvy, but know so little about phone operating systems.

Thanks again.
    In order to get ALL of the UK-functions of the phone, and get the CSC (see Software Info, Software Serviceprovider) to XEU/XEU, XEU/XEH (the first one is the ACTIVE CSC, which is now XEH on your device (Hungary), you'll need to do the steps I posted in my previous message...
    And yes indeed: it'll reset the device and you'll have to start from scratch again...

It worked!

You absolute legend! Thank you so much!!!

Administrator
    It worked!

You absolute legend! Thank you so much!!!
    You're welcome; enjoy your S10 & Samsung Pay (we still don't have it in the Netherlands...)