Thread: Help with Samsung S8 SCV36 (AU Japan) Compatible ROM ?

Help with Samsung S8 SCV36 (AU Japan) Compatible ROM ?

Hi there.

I just bought this phone here in Spain.
    This phone was locked previously by "AU" in Japan. Now it's unlocked and I can make voice calls and use data with local Sim (Vodafone and Orange works fine).
    The problem is, the phone can not make Carrier Aggregation because he don't see the Band 20 LTE 4G (800MHz). Also there is remaining japanese software that can not be deleted.
    I'm trying to figure out wich ROM can be installed on this phone. It looks similar to G950U, because this SCV36 come with Snapdragon 835 with 4GB/64GB configuration.
    Phone INFO SAM say it's CSC is KDI, CSC Country JP (Japan), and Product Code: SM-G950JZBAKDI (So at least it's an G950...)
    Bootloader, PDA, and Baseband: SCV36KDU1CSF4 and CSC Version: SCV36KDI1CSF4
    It's now in Android 9 One UI Version 1.0

Anybody out there know what ROM can be installed on this phone and make it compatible with 4G networks in Europe?
    I don't care about language, English or Spanish (or both) should be ok
    I don't want to burn any Eurpean ROM image (in ex G950F) because I don't want to brick the phone...

Thanks in advance,
    Marcos

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarridoy [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi there.

I just bought this phone here in Spain.
    This phone was locked previously by "AU" in Japan. Now it's unlocked and I can make voice calls and use data with local Sim (Vodafone and Orange works fine).
    The problem is, the phone can not make Carrier Aggregation because he don't see the Band 20 LTE 4G (800MHz). Also there is remaining japanese software that can not be deleted.
    I'm trying to figure out wich ROM can be installed on this phone. It looks similar to G950U, because this SCV36 come with Snapdragon 835 with 4GB/64GB configuration.
    Phone INFO SAM say it's CSC is KDI, CSC Country JP (Japan), and Product Code: SM-G950JZBAKDI (So at least it's an G950...)
    Bootloader, PDA, and Baseband: SCV36KDU1CSF4 and CSC Version: SCV36KDI1CSF4
    It's now in Android 9 One UI Version 1.0

Anybody out there know what ROM can be installed on this phone and make it compatible with 4G networks in Europe?
    I don't care about language, English or Spanish (or both) should be ok
    I don't want to burn any Eurpean ROM image (in ex G950F) because I don't want to brick the phone...

Thanks in advance,
    Marcos
    Hi there

Our advice: if it's working now, don't mess with it...

You've a phone which was not meant for the European market...

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's working, but no fully working because the 4G network bands. Also there are some missing bands in 3G. That means it wil be very easy to be "Out of network" while moving.
    There's another "inconvenient", the "Ņ" key is missing, this key is used like the others (in ex. Espaņa - Spain). This is not a big problem, but if that can be solved then I will be happy...
    I know this phone is not for Europe. S8 with Snapdragon was made for USA and Asia only. But...I'm thinkig it would be possible to install some USA ROM (or America) that can make "visible" the missing 4G network bands ?
    Also, my doubt is, why SCV36? I think there is inside a regular S8 like G950U, isn't? Do you all think Samsung made S8 around the world with different hardware, like the one I have, with missing 4G LTE bands? was they "removed" these bands from the original S8? The modem is inside the snapdragon with all LTE and 3G bands... then I think the missing bands is because software only, not hardware, and the software can (maybe or may be not) be changed or reconfigured.
    I have the original ROM firmware for this phone. I was thinking also to burn other CP file with Odin and try. If something goes wrong then I can turn back with the original firmare...
    What do you think?

Also, I'm curious on what is inside this SCV36. I'm not sure, of course, but I think there's no difference (in hardware) with G950U. I don't want to open the back cover only to see waht's inside, So anybody out there can tell what is inside this phone? I know G950F boards are not compatible with G950U, but I'm not sure about compatibility between G950U and Asia S8 with Snapdragon...
    Thanks
    Last edited by mgarridoy; 14-05-2020 at 11:18.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarridoy [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's working, but no fully working because the 4G network bands. Also there are some missing bands in 3G. That means it wil be very easy to be "Out of network" while moving.
    There's another "inconvenient", the "Ņ" key is missing, this key is used like the others (in ex. Espaņa - Spain). This is not a big problem, but if that can be solved then I will be happy...
    I know this phone is not for Europe. S8 with Snapdragon was made for USA and Asia only. But...I'm thinkig it would be possible to install some USA ROM (or America) that can make "visible" the missing 4G network bands ?
    Also, my doubt is, why SCV36? I think there is inside a regular S8 like G950U, isn't? Do you all think Samsung made S8 around the world with different hardware, like the one I have, with missing 4G LTE bands? was they "removed" these bands from the original S8? The modem is inside the snapdragon with all LTE and 3G bands... then I think the missing bands is because software only, not hardware, and the software can (maybe or may be not) be changed or reconfigured.
    I have the original ROM firmware for this phone. I was thinking also to burn other CP file with Odin and try. If something goes wrong then I can turn back with the original firmare...
    What do you think?

Also, I'm curious on what is inside this SCV36. I'm not sure, of course, but I think there's no difference (in hardware) with G950U. I don't want to open the back cover only to see waht's inside, So anybody out there can tell what is inside this phone? I know G950F boards are not compatible with G950U, but I'm not sure about compatibility between G950U and Asia S8 with Snapdragon...
    Thanks
    We can't help you further with this; you can't flash "other model's firmware" to your device...

Ok, thanks for taking your time.

I'm pretty sure this problem can be solved by software. The thing is...what firmware is compatible with my phone? Ok, I know you can't do anymore with that, but I'm sure there are people out there that can help...
    There's a video in Youtube showing a phone like the one I have with G950F firmware installed on it. This guy ask money to do that job in your phone, but I don't want to pay for that, so that means it's possible, but it's not the correct way for Samsung. Samsung would preffer you buy a new phone if you go to other Country, but this is not always possible.
    Anyway, thanks again.