Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Please Help: G695U No longer working after the April 2020 Patch

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    7

    Please Help: G695U No longer working after the April 2020 Patch

    Last week on Thursday, I allowed Verizon to install their Software Update 21 (April 2020.) It made it as far as the going through the optimizing apps and then was stuck in a boot loop. The phone would be usable for about a minute, then would freeze, and then reboot. If I clicked on the System Update option in settings, it would say that a system update was in progress. I chatted with Verizon, and they ended up telling me that the only way to stop the update was to do a factory reset, which I am doing everything I can not to do that as I don't want to lose my data.

    I changed it into maximum power mode and it did stop the update for that time being and I was able to use the phone, texting, etc. This allowed me to at least connect the phone to my computer to backup all of the directories. After many reboots, on Friday it finally stopped doing the update and gave me an error which I think was 410. It thought it was updated, though did show as failed. When checking for updates, it said it was the current version. Twice I was able to get the phone to stop by freezing when going to the app and stopping some programs (sadly, I was not able to remember the exact combination that worked) which allowed me to use the phone like normal. All this while, I was uninstalling a large amount of the apps that I had installed hoping that would minimize whatever may have been causing the problem.

    Went to each of the google and samsung apps, stopped, disable, and reverted them all back to factory defaults. Guess that was a bad idea, from then on I received an error as soon as the phone started which caused it to go directly into recovery mode. I chatted with samsung and they thought it might be a hardware issue. I still think it is related to their software update, so not a hardware issue.

    By using Odin, I loaded the firmware from March 2020, and when it rebooted, it did go as far as optimizing the apps, though anytime it booted up, it would never get past the white verizon loading screen. It took me hours before I discovered that Odin was failing to load the firmware on the phone as the Windows 10 laptop only had USB 3.0 ports which don't always work with Odin, and ended up being successful using my old Windows XP laptop as the USB 2.0 ports worked fine. After a bit hanging on the verizon loading screen, it would reboot and never went past. I have been able to load the March and April 2020, though none of them will ever get past that white verizon loading screen. I did see something say that in loading TWRP, I could possibly do a full backup of the phone which is what I would like to do.

    One time I only loaded the AB file for a different version than I had loaded, and it was the first time it went beyond the white screen, only to tell me that the verification failed and it would need for me to do a factory reset. I was able to reboot the phone without actually doing the reset. I am fine with having to root the phone if it means I can actually use the phone with what is already installed on it. I attempted to install TWRP, though it seems the US version is locked, and you have to do many steps including install magisk, and in doing all that i will have to reset my phone which is the last thing I actually want to do.

    I have read many posts here and the forums on xdadevelopers, and with so many things, I really needed to post to get guidance from people here that can point me in the right direction for any other things that I can try. As you have read, doing everything that I can to get the phone working by keeping my data. Any help would really be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    5
    I have the same problem with my note 8 N950U with sprint and still stuck on boot loop.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    7
    Have you done anything in the recovery mode? Wipe cache, safe boot? I did a lot of those steps attempting to fix my phone. I will offer guidance based on what I have done if you think it will help. Sadly, none of those steps worked for me so far. I will also post here if I end up with a solution that works for me.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    5
    I tried wipe cache and wipe data/factory reset and still nothing works. I flash the 3/29 version for my SM-N950U firmware. still not working. Can not get into Safe mode. I used odinV3_14.4.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Hi there

    The best is to go to a Samsung Service Point, and let your device checked...

    @freshwave : you're talking about TWRP -> was this on your device before the update?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by liken504 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I tried wipe cache and wipe data/factory reset and still nothing works. I flash the 3/29 version for my SM-N950U firmware. still not working. Can not get into Safe mode. I used odinV3_14.4.
    Hm, yeah that is what I would have told you to do also. After you flashed, did you make sure you: 1) wiped the cache and 2) mount the system. I did see that after I did the flash, it didn't want to boot up past the recovery screen unless I did both of those.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi there

    The best is to go to a Samsung Service Point, and let your device checked...

    @freshwave : you're talking about TWRP -> was this on your device before the update?
    I have never rooted or flashed my phone previous to this problem that developed after Verizon forced me to install their Software Update 21 (April 2020.) My goal is not to root the phone, only to get the phone working with all of the app data still intact. If that requires me to root, I am open to it.

    I did get my flash files from the sammobile website, and I have flashed my phone with the Jan, March, and April 2020. Each time I do that, it does go past the white verizon logo to shop the optimize app, and once that completes it reboots and never goes beyond the white verizon logo where it then reboots itself after a minute or two.

    Basically, I want to make sure I try everything that I can before having to commit to the dreaded factory reset, as I would like to keep a lot of the information in my apps. After it does the five boots to the white verizon logo is does prompt me to retry, erase app data, view recovery log, or to power down. If no other options are found, I will do the erase data first to see if that helps, though doing my best not to do that.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwave [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I have never rooted or flashed my phone previous to this problem that developed after Verizon forced me to install their Software Update 21 (April 2020.) My goal is not to root the phone, only to get the phone working with all of the app data still intact. If that requires me to root, I am open to it.

    I did get my flash files from the sammobile website, and I have flashed my phone with the Jan, March, and April 2020. Each time I do that, it does go past the white verizon logo to shop the optimize app, and once that completes it reboots and never goes beyond the white verizon logo where it then reboots itself after a minute or two.

    Basically, I want to make sure I try everything that I can before having to commit to the dreaded factory reset, as I would like to keep a lot of the information in my apps. After it does the five boots to the white verizon logo is does prompt me to retry, erase app data, view recovery log, or to power down. If no other options are found, I will do the erase data first to see if that helps, though doing my best not to do that.
    Don't ROOT your phone or use TWRP: it'll trip KNOX and you'll lose your secure functions

    Have you tried clearing the cache in recovery?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    7
    Yes, every time I have flashed the phone, I first wipe the cache and mount the system before I let the phone load further.

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,136
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwave [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Yes, every time I have flashed the phone, I first wipe the cache and mount the system before I let the phone load further.
    Then I'm getting out of options...

    Go to a Samsung or Verizon Service Point and let your device checked...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •