Thread: S8 Genric Firmware on G950U

S8 Genric Firmware on G950U

Hopefully someone can assist me. I have read through numerous threads here, but cannot really find an answer.

I purchased an S8 G950U unlocked phone that came with AT&T firmware. I live in Australia where the standard phone is a G950F. The phone works OK (Australian Telstra service), but I seem to have very weak signal and I was thinking if I download the non branded firmware it may just help a bit as I imagine the firmware is tweaked toward AT&T service which may not suit me here.

Two questions:
    1. Is updating the firmware to unbranded likely to help in anything?
    2. Should I download the G950U or the G950U1 for my unlocked phone. I believe the 950U01 is unlocked, but my phone shows 950U and is unlocked - just AT&T branded

Attached a screenshot of my build etc. which seems to be required.
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

I love this phone so would really like to make the best of my mistake in buying the wrong model!
    Last edited by netorius77; 27-03-2020 at 07:19.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by netorius77 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hopefully someone can assist me. I have read through numerous threads here, but cannot really find an answer.

I purchased an S8 G950U unlocked phone that came with AT&T firmware. I live in Australia where the standard phone is a G950F. The phone works OK (Australian Telstra service), but I seem to have very weak signal and I was thinking if I download the non branded firmware it may just help a bit as I imagine the firmware is tweaked toward AT&T service which may not suit me here.

Two questions:
    1. Is updating the firmware to unbranded likely to help in anything?
    2. Should I download the G950U or the G950U1 for my unlocked phone. I believe the 950U01 is unlocked, but my phone shows 950U and is unlocked - just AT&T branded

Attached a screenshot of my build etc. which seems to be required.
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

I love this phone so would really like to make the best of my mistake in buying the wrong model!
    Hi there

It's NOT possible to flash -U1- firmware to a -U- device...

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    It's NOT possible to flash -U1- firmware to a -U- device...
    OK, thanks - so would you suggest I should install the SM-G950U XAS version as the best "unbranded" version in my circumstances?
    G950USQS7DTB3_G950UOYN7DTB3_XAS

Would I get any benefit over the AT&T version or is it just branding?
    Last edited by netorius77; 27-03-2020 at 09:00.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by netorius77 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    OK, thanks - so would you suggest I should install the SM-G950U XAS version as the best "unbranded" version in my circumstances?
    G950USQS7DTB3_G950UOYN7DTB3_XAS

Would I get any benefit over the AT&T version or is it just branding?
    You'll still keep the ATT-branding on your phone...

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    You'll still keep the ATT-branding on your phone...
    Thanks henklbr. Is there any benefit to upgrade then? Maybe better just to leave it as is and not mess around? I thought generic would be plain Samsung base model with no carrier specific settings etc.
    Sorry to ask so many questions but appreciate your knowledge.
    Last edited by netorius77; 27-03-2020 at 10:34.

Administrator
    Thanks henklbr. Is there any benefit to upgrade then? Maybe better just to leave it as is and not mess around?
    Sorry to ask so many questions but appreciate your knwledge.
    If your device is working OK now: leave it that way