Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen saturation sensor

Thank you, good to know.
    However I'm not going to root a new Note 10 to get SpO2 out of it, I can use a pulsoxymeter.

Waht leaves me weirded is that Samsung is not reintroducing the feature at this moment in time.
    I really don't understand if Samsung does not want to do this or if they are not aware of this.
    Is it possible nobody undestands the potential for SpO2 monitoring in the control of pneumonia from Coronavirus?
    Here in Italy they're talking about giving a pulsoxymeter to all the quarantined with mild symptoms, in order to monitor breath easiness.
    But you already have one! In your phone! And it was working till a few months ago!

Exclamation Help me, please

Quote Originally Posted by azuccari View Post
    i really don't understand if samsung does not want to do this or if they are not aware of this.
    Is it possible nobody undestands the potential for spo2 monitoring in the control of pneumonia from coronavirus?
    Here in italy they're talking about giving a pulsoxymeter to all the quarantined with mild symptoms, in order to monitor breath easiness.
    But you already have one! In your phone! And it was working till a few months ago!
    If somebody knows how to convey this information to Samsung R&D, please do it!
    I've already tried all I could to no avail.

Premium Member
    If somebody knows how to convey this information to Samsung R&D, please do it!
    I've already tried all I could to no avail.
    Send your suggestions to Samsung directly in the Samsung Members app...

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr View Post
    Send your suggestions to Samsung directly in the Samsung Members app...
    I've already done it, but had no answer.

Premium Member
    I've already done it, but had no answer.
    And we don't have an answer either...

PS: you don't have to shout with "big red text"...

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr View Post
    And we don't have an answer either...

PS: you don't have to shout with "big red text"...
    I'm sorry, I know that, I'm only trying to get some visibility hoping somebody from Samsung sees it... :-(

Unfortunately .....

I suspect lots of folks at Samsung know about it, but re-enabling SpO2 for phones would cut into sales of Smart Watches. After all, can't allow potentially saving lives to interfere with the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by dryfire View Post
    I suspect lots of folks at Samsung know about it, but re-enabling SpO2 for phones would cut into sales of Smart Watches. After all, can't allow potentially saving lives to interfere with the bottom line.
    Update, a Samsung technician wrote me back.
    She affirmed the devices I use (Note 10 and Glalaxy Watch Active2), and all of Samsung Wereables for that, do not have the SpO2 sensor.
    I'm kind of puzzzled, not about Stress (that who knows what means exactly), but how are they able to measure sleep phases without SpO2.
    Is this only a joke?

Difficult to say

In some parts of the world, the sensor was supposedly disabled because it would require the phone to be classified as a medical device. Speaking as one of the two adult doctors in my household, I would say that the O2 sensor in the S6 through S8 devices, in my personal observations, is not necessarily hospital grade accurate, but it does provide useful information, especially to an individual who uses it to monitor relative changes in O2 saturation over time such as one would likely experience in a C-19 infection scenario. I can not speak as to the S10 units, but I would be genuinely surprised if the hardware could not support the function. I would say the feedback you got was intended to shut you up and send you away so you would stop complaining. Samsung has also offered to "sanitize" devices brought to local service centers, although the process is not believed to be anti-viral in effect but merely anti-bacterial, therefore essentially WORTHLESS in current situations, and you would get to stand in line in a crowd of potentially infected people do so. Great for P.R. Not so great for human beings. Samsung has a golden opportunity to set aside monetary considerations in the short term to provide a valuable service to millions of device owners by re-activating the O2 sensors in Galaxy devices, but I doubt they will rise to the occasion. Too bad. Perhaps they should pay more attention to the example Jack Ma is setting over in China. In the SHORT RUN, it is NOT all about the money.

Update, a Samsung technician wrote me back.
    She affirmed the devices I use (Note 10 and Glalaxy Watch Active2), and all of Samsung Wereables for that, do not have the SpO2 sensor.
    From what I read on the web an OHRM sensor (Optical Heart Rate Monitor) like the one present onboard the Galaxy Watch Active2, with 8 light emitting diodes, gets the Hearth Rate through PPG (Photopleshtysmography) and is perfectly capable to measure blood oxygen saturation (SpO2).

Please check the following links (but also many other info to be easily found on internet)
    https://valencell.com/blog/2015/10/o...-need-to-know/
    https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-measu...ysmography-PPG
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoplethysmogram

It seems so it is Samsung that does not release a widget capable of showing the data.