Thread: Automatic Firmware update - Galaxy Tab Active 2 - SM-T390 - Android 8.1.0 to 9.0

Automatic Firmware update - Galaxy Tab Active 2 - SM-T390 - Android 8.1.0 to 9.0

Hello all,

One of my tablets (Galaxy Tab Active 2 - SM-T390) has automatically updated to Android 9.0 from Android 8.1.0. I have had kiosk mode active, where I would not be able to access any other apps or the android settings screens and just a certain app. Hence the notification that an update is available although present in the settings screen was not accessed or authorized to download and install. I have gone into another tablet that has not updated and checked the settings and I can see that security policy updates are set to automatic. The update that has installed is security patch level 1 June 2019, which has the one UI for Android Pie.

Having said that, I wanted to know if the updates from Samsung can be forced onto a tablet, even without the user acknowledging or accepting the update? I have a few tablets that I have that I run android 8.1.0 on, but just want to make sure they are not auto updated like this as some of my apps do not support android pie just yet.

Any information on this regard would be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cchakra [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hello all,

One of my tablets (Galaxy Tab Active 2 - SM-T390) has automatically updated to Android 9.0 from Android 8.1.0. I have had kiosk mode active, where I would not be able to access any other apps or the android settings screens and just a certain app. Hence the notification that an update is available although present in the settings screen was not accessed or authorized to download and install. I have gone into another tablet that has not updated and checked the settings and I can see that security policy updates are set to automatic. The update that has installed is security patch level 1 June 2019, which has the one UI for Android Pie.

Having said that, I wanted to know if the updates from Samsung can be forced onto a tablet, even without the user acknowledging or accepting the update? I have a few tablets that I have that I run android 8.1.0 on, but just want to make sure they are not auto updated like this as some of my apps do not support android pie just yet.

Any information on this regard would be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Hi there

Isn't there an option to turn off "Automatic Updates"?

On my Tab S3 there is: Settings -> Software Update

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi there

Isn't there an option to turn off "Automatic Updates"?

On my Tab S3 there is: Settings -> Software Update
    Hi henklbr,

I do not see an option to turn off automatic updates when running 8.1 or 9.0, I can see them in Android 5.0 and Android 7.1.1.

Android 9.0 under software update, I just see Download and install
    Android 8.1 under software update, I just see Download updates automatically, Scheduled software updates and Last update information

[ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cchakra [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi henklbr,

I do not see an option to turn off automatic updates when running 8.1 or 9.0, I can see them in Android 5.0 and Android 7.1.1.

Android 9.0 under software update, I just see Download and install
    Android 8.1 under software update, I just see Download updates automatically, Scheduled software updates and Last update information

[ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I've a switch too on "Download updates automatically" and I've it switched to OFF (Tab S3 Oreo)