Thread: Not getting updates on my S10+

Question Not getting updates on my S10+

Hi,

I bought a second-hand S10+ about a month ago, it's a UK phone that I was told was purchased from Vodafone but it's unlocked. I am still on the April update and checking the firmware page on SamMobile (UK BTU) I can see that the May update for my phone was released on June 6th and I still haven't received it. Any clue as to why that is? I'm thinking of installing the firmware from SamMobile, but I've never done this before and I'm a bit scared I'll mess something up (I'm generally a techie but I've never manually installed firmware on a phone like this). If I do, would future updates normally arrive as they should, or will I always have to use Odin for updates?

I'm hoping there's another solution to receive updates the regular way. Help would be appreciated, thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20190620-133621_Software update.jpg   Screenshot_20190620-133630_Settings.jpg  

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ovidiuav [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi,

I bought a second-hand S10+ about a month ago, it's a UK phone that I was told was purchased from Vodafone but it's unlocked. I am still on the April update and checking the firmware page on SamMobile (UK BTU) I can see that the May update for my phone was released on June 6th and I still haven't received it. Any clue as to why that is? I'm thinking of installing the firmware from SamMobile, but I've never done this before and I'm a bit scared I'll mess something up (I'm generally a techie but I've never manually installed firmware on a phone like this). If I do, would future updates normally arrive as they should, or will I always have to use Odin for updates?

I'm hoping there's another solution to receive updates the regular way. Help would be appreciated, thank you!
    Hi there,

It's correct you didn't receive an OTA-update yet: the current build on your device was never released in Romania (Your ACTIVE & SIM-CSC).

In order to receive OTA-updates again on your device, you should flash the latest firmware yourself...

First install Smart Switch on your PC (not needed, just for the correct Samsung Drivers): [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Here you can find the latest firmware for your device, Romania (ROM): [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Flash AP BL CP & HOME_CSC_OXM with Odin 3.13.x to your device (CSC_OXM NOT TO BE USED!).

How to flash firmware to your phone:

1. Extract (un-rar) the firmware file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin) ***
    2. Download [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    3. Extract Odin ZIP file (i.e. to folder c:\Odin)
    4. Open Odin v3.13.3
    5. Power OFF your S10+
    6. Reboot Phone in Download Mode (1st plug-in USB-cable to your S10+!!!), push Bixby + Volume Down buttons, while pushing them plug-in USB-cable to PC
    7. Wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
    8. Add the firmware files to their designated slots
    9. Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
    10. Click the start button, sit back and wait few minutes

Use SamMobile only if you are 100% sure about the risks involved in flashing your device. SamMobile is not responsible for any damage caused by using the files on this website.

Thanks for the help!

So the phone isn't getting updates because it's a UK phone and there's a Romanian SIM card in it? What if I had never used a SIM at all - Romanian or otherwise - would I have continued to get UK updates? I'm just trying to understand how this works. If you go abroad for a longer period of time and use a SIM card from that country, would a Samsung phone stop getting updates? Do all Android phones work like this?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ovidiuav [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks for the help!

So the phone isn't getting updates because it's a UK phone and there's a Romanian SIM card in it? What if I had never used a SIM at all - Romanian or otherwise - would I have continued to get UK updates? I'm just trying to understand how this works. If you go abroad for a longer period of time and use a SIM card from that country, would a Samsung phone stop getting updates? Do all Android phones work like this?
    Hi there,

If the initial firmware, when you bought it, was the same for the United Kingdom (XEU) and Romania (ROM), you had received OTA-updates.
    9 of the 10 times, firmware is the same in all countries, but sometimes (like your phone) it isn't...

During first installation, and the SIM-card of your carrier is in your phone, the phone chooses the correct configuration settings (CSC) for your country/carrier: this in order to get i.e. VoLTE VoWiFi etc. (when available).

If your SIM-card was from the UK, the CSC would stayed the same -> XEU and you did receive the UK-updates.

So if I were to put a UK SIM card in it right now, it would start receiving the UK updates? Simply removing the SIM card doesn't seem to help.

Also, the free download on SamMobile seems to be temporarily unavailable, do you know of other places I might get the firmware? Thanks!
    Last edited by ovidiuav; 22-06-2019 at 14:00.

Administrator
    So if I were to put a UK SIM card in it right now, it would start receiving the UK updates? Simply removing the SIM card doesn't seem to help.

Also, the free download on SamMobile seems to be temporarily unavailable, do you know of other places I might get the firmware? Thanks!
    Hi there,

I don't understandyou: why putting in a UK-SIM now? You need to reset your device too, because it's now configured for ROM.

Why not download/install the ROM firmware, like I suggested: you'll get ROM OTA updates...

I was just curious, so resetting and using a UK SIM would do the trick? What if I just reset without adding any SIM? I'm just trying to avoid manually installing the ROM firmware for fear that something might go wrong. Also the free download on SamMobile seems to be temporarily unavailable.

Administrator
    I was just curious, so resetting and using a UK SIM would do the trick? What if I just reset without adding any SIM? I'm just trying to avoid manually installing the ROM firmware for fear that something might go wrong. Also the free download on SamMobile seems to be temporarily unavailable.
    Hi there,

That is a possibility, you could try (reset your device in recovery without any SIM in device), but I'm not sure in this...

Ok, thanks for the help!