Thread: Is my Gear S3 region locked to Germany?

Is my Gear S3 region locked to Germany?

I just bought a Gear S3 Classic in Germany and I have noticed a few things. First of all, Samsung Pay is not available (it's not installed on the watch and it doesn't appear in the settings of my Samsung Gear app on my phone). I'm presuming that's because Samsung Pay isn't available yet in Germany? Also, some apps can't be found (like Uber) and other apps have German descriptions, presumably because the Galaxy App Store recognises that my location is in Germany.

So my question is, since I will be moving to Australia later this year, will Samsung Pay and apps like Uber become available on my Gear S3 once I arrive there? Is there any way for me to change the region? Or can I simply not use Samsung Pay in Australia with a Gear S3 bought in Germany? If so then I might have to return it since it'll be crippled in Australia...even though I'm loving it so much.

My model number is: SM-R770 with Software version R770XXU2BQC5
    Last edited by marcolorenzo; 12-05-2017 at 15:21.

Like a mobile phone, the Gear will obtain its location by;
    A. Setting the time and time zone
    Set the date and time.
    On the Gear, open the Apps screen, tap (Settings) → Connect to phone → OK to connect the Gear to a mobile device while using the Gear without a mobile device.

B. From your location settings
    Set the Gear to allow apps to use your current location information.
    On the Settings screen, tap Connections → Location.
    Tap the Location switch to activate it and then select a method to collect your location data

Payment app
    To set the default payment app, open the settings screen and tap Connections → NFC → Tap and pay, and then select an app.
    The payment services list may not include all available payment apps
    Last edited by greenman; 12-05-2017 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Like a mobile phone, the Gear will obtain its location by;
    A. Setting the time and time zone
    Set the date and time.
    On the Gear, open the Apps screen, tap (Settings) → Connect to phone → OK to connect the Gear to a mobile device while using the Gear without a mobile device.

B. From your location settings
    Set the Gear to allow apps to use your current location information.
    On the Settings screen, tap Connections → Location.
    Tap the Location switch to activate it and then select a method to collect your location data

Payment app
    To set the default payment app, open the settings screen and tap Connections → NFC → Tap and pay, and then select an app.
    The payment services list may not include all available payment apps
    That doesn't quite answer my questions though. I know I can change the time/time zone and location but will Samsung Pay then appear in my Gear Manager app on my phone and also other apps in the Galaxy App Store? Because I've read that Gear S3 watches purchased in some regions may not use Samsung Pay in other regions. I just want to confirm if this is true or not.
    Last edited by marcolorenzo; 12-05-2017 at 15:58.

To get a definitive answer use the samsung Live chat line here:
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    To get a definitive answer use the samsung Live chat line here:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude but isn't the point of a forum to ask questions? If you don't know the answer, you don't need to reply. If you're going to refer me to a Live Chat then that might as well be the solution to every question asked on these forums. And FYI, I did ask a Live Chat and they don't know.

"In regards to your concern, I do apologise but we cannot guarantee. We do have different specification and configurations for different region devices."

"We are not sure if Samsung Pay is already supported for a Gear S3 purchased from Australia."

That's why I didn't want to contact their Live Chat. This is basically what I expected.

The point of a forum is to help you find the answer you are looking for.
    The expertise or knowledge may not be available to give a direct answer, so it is not unreasonable to direct you to another source.

Had you divulged that Samsung had already been contacted then you would have saved time and effort in trying to help you.
    Last edited by greenman; 12-05-2017 at 17:53.

The point of a forum is to help you find the answer you are looking for.
    The expertise or knowledge may not be available to give a direct answer, so it is not unreasonable to direct you to another source.

Had you divulged that Samsung had already been contacted then you would have saved time and effort in trying to help you.
    Of course, but isn't it a bit early to suggest that a direct answer isn't available by others on the forum even if you may not have it? I only posted this thread a few hours ago after all.
    And I went on their Live Chat after you suggested it, not before. It was what I was expecting though since from personal experience, they only have answers to general questions and rarely have answers to more specific queries especially when it comes to cross regional questions.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolorenzo [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Of course, but isn't it a bit early to suggest that a direct answer isn't available by others on the forum even if you may not have it?
    My answer was to say that 'The expertise or knowledge may not be available to give a direct answer.'
    Not quite what you have suggested.

Hopefully you will get an answer.

Fair enough, thanks anyway