Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Region Matter?

Does Region Matter?

This forum seems to have a wealth of knowledge. I've perused it hoping to find an answer, and while I have a better understanding of things I'm not entirely sure what to do.

I would like to downgrade from Android 7.0 to 6.0.1. On the download Firmware page it presents me with all these different regions.

1. Does the region matter? Will my phone operate in exactly the same way regardless of region?
    2. Does my carrier matter?
    3. If I "flash" will I ever get automatic updates in the future or will I have to manually update every time?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here's the basic info on my phone. I bought it on Amazon.com, unlocked, from seller Samsung.

Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier: Cricket
    Model #: SM-G930F
    Android Version 7.0
    Basebrand version: G930FXXU1DQB1
    Build number: NRD90M.G930FXXU1DQB7

1. You may be able to downgrade (it depends on whether the secure bootloader has been updated) but downgrading is not recommended.
    If bootloader is upgraded you will get an Odin FAIL at sboot.
    Check on the firmware download page 'Security patch level'.
    You can lose some system app features as they are region based.

2. Carrier or region or whether your phone is carrier sim locked does not matter. You can install any firmware for the phone version using Odin.

3. After flashing put phone into Recovery Mode go wipe cache then wipe data/factory reset.
    Your phone will now get OTA updates.

S7 Odin install guide here:
    https://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30800

Okay so I downloaded the Phone INFO app as suggested by u/greenman in another thread. The info I got from that is as follows:

Country of Origin: MADE IN VIETNAM
    Firmware CSC Code: TTT
    Actice CSC Code: TTT
    Available CSC Codes: ALE, ARO, BRO, CHK, CHO, CHP, CHQ, COO, EON, PCW, TPA, TTT, UPO, UYO
    CSC Country: TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO/TT

I've gone back to the Firmware options for my model number. Does this mean I can choose any Firmware from any of these country codes? Does it behoove me to choose TTT again? If I choose TTT, do I skip step 6 in this guide... https://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30800 ?

Thanks again!

Oh thanks so much for the response. I guess I was posting as the same time you lol.

1. I'm trying to locate the "Security patch level" but don't quite know where to look. I'm looking here and also in the Phone INFO app. Is it going to harm my device if the bootloader is upgraded and I try to downgrade?

Thanks again for your help! GREATLY appreciated.

The alternative csc codes are those in the TTT firmware.
    Installing one of these firmwares will need an Odin install as in my guide, but WITHOUT Re-partition selected.
    Your CSC will not change - it will still be TTT.

Quote Originally Posted by leafycabbage View Post
    Oh thanks so much for the response. I guess I was posting as the same time you lol.

1. I'm trying to locate the "Security patch level" but don't quite know where to look. I'm looking here and also in the Phone INFO app. Is it going to harm my device if the bootloader is upgraded and I try to downgrade?

Thanks again for your help! GREATLY appreciated.
    If the bootloader is updated you will not be able to downgrade.

Security patch level is on the download page:

Security Patch Level 2016-12-01
    Product code TTT
    PDA G930FXXU1BPLB
    CSC G930FUUB1BPL4

Hahaha!! Sorry, yes I see it clearly now.

Okay so just to clarify, if bootloader is updated it'll simply refuse to downgrade and I'll just be stuck with Android 7.0? It's not like it'll turn my phone into a brick?

Odin will fail and no changes to your phone will take place.

I wanted to ask you something about A50, India is not releasing the Andtoid 10, so I am stuck with February Security Patch, can I change the country to Thailand (April Security Patch), or even better in Europe, Germany or something?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNoid1 View Post
    I wanted to ask you something about A50, India is not releasing the Andtoid 10, so I am stuck with February Security Patch, can I change the country to Thailand (April Security Patch), or even better in Europe, Germany or something?
    Hi there

No: those are other region firmwares...

You'll lose Samsung Pay, VoLTE, VoWiFi etc...