Thread: Anyone know the lifetime expentancy of the Gear S2 Classic or S3 Classic battery?

Anyone know the lifetime expentancy of the Gear S2 Classic or S3 Classic battery?

I recently bought both an S2 Classic Platinum and an S3 Classic and am trying to decide which one to keep. I have been unable to find ANY information about the life expectancy of the batteries for either watch. I even called Samsung and not only could they not give me an answer, but they could not tell me the cost or procedure of having the battery replaced when the time comes. All they could tell me is that I could expect to spend a minimum of @ $70 - their customary out-of-warranty service charge. If I'm going to spend $300 or $350 for a gizmo with a non-user-removable battery, I'd like to know the life expectancy, cost and procedure of having that battery replaced. It's one thing to buy an expensive watch for that price that you are going to have for forty years; it's another to spend it on a watch that you'll need to replace in two years. I realize it's wearable tech, not jewelry, but still...

If anyone can help with the info I'm looking for, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks!

John

Gear S3 is the one to keep.
    * S3 has 50% bigger battery
    S2 Classic battery will give 2-3 days before recharging
    S3 Classic battery will give 4 days before recharging
    * S3 has 50% more ram

Couldn't find any battery costs for the Gear S2 or Gear S3.
    DIY replacement should be possible, as it was on the Gear 2.

Hi - thank you. I'm curious what settings result in those recharge times. I've found, with BT on, "always-on" off, auto-HR moderate, gesture wake off, remote connect off, screen at 5 or 6, I still only get about a day with the S2 Classic and maybe 1-2 days with the S3 Classic. Something went REALLY wrong with the S2 the other day and the charge lasted less than 8 hours - and that was without wearing the watch! Charged it back up and it did it again. Tweaked the settings (turned off remote connect and something else) and now it's back to about a day.

As for replacement costs, still no info available that I can find that would indicate the cost and/or procedure for having the battery replaced. Saw a break down on IFIXIT.COM but it looked a little tricky and wouldn't trust myself to do the job...

Thanks for your help!

John

It is always tricky to give expected battery life times as there are so many variables.
    Signal strength, screen times, number of active features, optimised firmware install, even ambient temperature can all have an effect.
    Like vehicle fuel use as supplied by the manufacturer, the real life stats can vary greatly (usually downwards)

Buying a piece of tech to wear is unlikely to be an investment in the short term, and your choice will depend upon which provides the features that you think are useful.

Personally, I think they are an ugly lump of mixed materials hanging off your wrist - but hey! what do I know.

I don't know where anybody gets this 3-4 day battery life. My frontier is 1.5 days at best. I charge every night because I know I won't make it home from work the next day if I don't.

That's not a complaint though.. As long as I do get through a full day and make it back home to charge that's good enough and it definitely does that. Even with the AOD on.

If only my phone got anywhere near that I'd be all set.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk