Thread: S4 (SM-S975l) Firmware...flashing rom

S4 (SM-S975l) Firmware...flashing rom

I am a lay person. Not a techie. Not sure about use of tech language. Can I "flash" the rom and install firmware on my Galaxy S4 without backing up my data? Will I lose data? If not...where do I back my data up to and how? Can I back it up to an external micro SD card or do I have to back it up to a desktop harddrive? Can I back it up to a thumb drive? Once backed up and firmware reloaded, how do I reinstall the data? My wifi doesn't work and I wish to return phone to original factory image. Thanks.

(Note: The reason I need to do this is because my wifi does not work. It does not work because I "rooted" my phone to install a wifi hotspot tethering App that some how "corrupted" my wifi. Need to now return to original factory "image"?)

We only have one firmware for your tracphone.
    This could be a problem if it has been updated.

First of all try using Kies to reinstall your firmware as this will also allow you to save your data.
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    We only have one firmware for your tracphone.
    This could be a problem if it has been updated.

First of all try using Kies to reinstall your firmware as this will also allow you to save your data.
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Thank you. Tried using both Kies and Kies 3.0. No luck. Device would not connect to Kies. StraightTalk/ATT (Tracphone) really butchered these phones. Total bait and switch. Suck you in with low price for phone, but lock you into carrier so can't switch. Would have been nice to know this was the case up front.