Thread: Standalone Mode Options?

Standalone Mode Options?

Having tried unsuccessfully to get any coherent response from Samsung Technical services or people working in Samsung shops this forum is my last hope.

When I loose BT connectivity with my phone my Gear S2 goes into Standalone Mode, what can I receive under the following circumstances.

(1) In my own house which has it's own WiFi. Will I be able to receive emails and SMS messages on my Gear S2 and will I be able to respond to them via my Gear S2?

(2) Out and about not in any WiFi enabled area. Will I still be able to receive emails and SMS messages on my Gear S2 and will I be able to respond to them via my Gear S2 or will the Gear S2 just function as a watch?

Thanks

Gear S2 has three different operating modes:
    1. BT Connected - connected via BT to phone
    2. Remote Connected - connected via wifi or mobile data to phone
    3. Gear Only/Stand alone - not connected to your phone.

Standalone mode means that you have no connections to another device or the internet.
    In this state, consider your Gear S2 to only have the functions available on the watch itself - so no SMS/Emails or anything else that needs an internet or network connection.

Best way to think about this is to imagine you are on the moon, the functions on your watch are all that you have.

Thanks for that. What's confusing me is this Remote Connection function, I grasp (1) & (3)

Does Remote Connection mean that for example if I'm at home (which has a WiFi connection or in an environment that has a WiFi signal that my phone is connected to e.g. an hotel) and BT is switched off on the Gear S2 or the phone can I still receive emails and/or texts?

Quote Originally Posted by schrodie [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks for that. What's confusing me is this Remote Connection function, I grasp (1) & (3)

Does Remote Connection mean that for example if I'm at home (which has a WiFi connection or in an environment that has a WiFi signal that my phone is connected to e.g. an hotel) and BT is switched off on the Gear S2 or the phone can I still receive emails and/or texts?
    If you think about when you setup your phone to receive emails.
    You had to enter your email address and password, then the email app created a connection to your email server.
    On your Gear S2 there is no such function as it is accepted that your S2 will use your phone, therefore connecting to wifi will not give you email access.
    You can access data that is available through your S2 built in apps or any other apps that you add that can access the internet.

Similarly with SMS that come through your network connection.
    With SMS you need a sim card in your Gear S2 (eSim) which will need to be set up to access your network account.
    This may vary across networks, but AT&T instructions here:
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Connecting your S2 to your phone here:
    Last edited by greenman; 21-11-2016 at 14:19.

One thing that I should have mentioned about wifi.

The wifi networks that your S2 can connect to are located on your phone.
    Again there is no wifi connection feature on your S2 to access the wifi independently.

See how to connect your S2 and sync wifi profiles here: