Thread: "Finalizing Android update" on every startup

"Finalizing Android update" on every startup

I live in the United States, in Michigan. I recently bought a Sprint Note 4 without a SIM card as I intend to use it only as a wifi connected device at most. Recently it auto-updated to Android 6.0.1 (I turned off auto updates) via my wifi network.

Now every time I turn it on, within a few minutes, a message pops up that says "Finalizing Android update. Please wait..."

If I'm not wifi connected, it will stay on that message screen till I press "Cancel."

If I am connected, it will move on the the next screen that says, "ATTENTION Android update successful." I then press "OK" to make it go away.

See attachments.

I was wondering if I can stop these screens from appearing. They aren't causing a problem (at least none that I've noticed), but they are annoying. Does anyone have a suggestion?

[ Login above or register to see download links. ][ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Can you long press on the message and then Dismiss?

No. I have to press "cancel" for the first message, if I'm not wifi connected, and "ok" on the second every time.
    Last edited by sfeinbe; 18-06-2016 at 11:42.

Quote Originally Posted by sfeinbe [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    No. I have to press "cancel" for the first message, if I'm not wifi connected, and "ok" on the second every time.
    Put your phone into Recovery Mode and wipe cache then wipe data/factory reset.

Have you activated your device yet? That could be the problem.

I don't intend to activate it. As for wiping the cache, I did that, but haven't done the data/factory reset. I may try that next.

On second thought, I was wondering if there's something other than a factory reset I could try as I've already changed a number of settings to my liking and don't want to change them all over again.
    Last edited by sfeinbe; 19-06-2016 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by sfeinbe [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I don't intend to activate it. As for wiping the cache, I did that, but haven't done the data/factory reset. I may try that next.

On second thought, I was wondering if there's something other than a factory reset I could try as I've already changed a number of settings to my liking and don't want to change them all over again.
    iceguyver's suggestion is a good one.
    Android is expecting you to install the update and will keep giving messages until you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    iceguyver's suggestion is a good one.
    Android is expecting you to install the update and will keep giving messages until you do so.
    I did install the Android update. Are you saying I need to get a sim card and activate it for the messages to disappear?

I did install the Android update. Are you saying I need to get a sim card and activate it for the messages to disappear?
    Yeah, every Samsung device released from the SGS4 onwards require you to activate it before you can use it properly. It's a simple process, all you have to do is put a SIM card into your device and make a 5-10 minute phone call. That is it!