Thread: "Back up my data" only possible via WiFi and not via 3G/4G

"Back up my data" only possible via WiFi and not via 3G/4G

I use my Samsung account to back up my data. Backup to Google account. (Settings -> Backup and reset -> Back up my data -> Back up now).

Can someone explain to me my this is only possibe with a WiFi connection and not possible with just a 3G or 4G connection.

Thanks.

In theory there should be no reason as both are data streams.
    In practice using wifi is generally quicker and more reliable, and does not risk additional costs.
    It is therefore set as the default.

The backup is via Android backup Service to a hidden folder in your Google Drive folder.
    You can therefore change the default by going to Applications > Drive > GOT IT! (cog) > Data usage

Deselect this and data can be transferred over your mobile data when a wifi connection is not available.

Hi greenman. Thanks for your quick response.

I've done what you've suggested, but I still get the following popup when I want to back up my data by clicking on "Back up now":
    "Connect to a WiFi network to back up data from your device to the cloud server".

Thanks once again.

Quote Originally Posted by taranaki [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi greenman. Thanks for your quick response.

I've done what you've suggested, but I still get the following popup when I want to back up my data by clicking on "Back up now":
    "Connect to a WiFi network to back up data from your device to the cloud server".

Thanks once again.
    See if a phone reboot will 'set' the changed option.

Hi Greenman,

I've rebooted my phone, but am still asked to "Connect to a WiFi network to back up data from your device to the cloud server".

I'm not sure if you've got an S6, but if you go to Settings -> Backup and reset -> Back up my data -> Back up now, have you got the option of making a backup without a WiFi connection? On my phone, as far as I can see, there is no option to make a backup via 3G or 4G.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

You are not doing anything wrong.
    WiFi is the preferred data connection and it looks like you cannot change that.

It is probably as I said in my first post, that wifi is more reliable and therefore the Google servers will not risk having dropped connections and server time outs.

taranki,
    Do you have a Cloud account?
    Or have you activated your Google or Samsung account?

To save you do need a destination server.
    Last edited by greenman; 22-12-2016 at 14:01.

To backup samsung galaxy phone data to computer, you can try an android backup assistant, like [ Login above or register to see download links. ], it could transfer almost everything from android phone to computer, and you can connect your phone to computer via usb cable or wifi, have a try. [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Last edited by cfsdfa; 15-05-2017 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    You are not doing anything wrong.
    WiFi is the preferred data connection and it looks like you cannot change that.

It is probably as I said in my first post, that wifi is more reliable and therefore the Google servers will not risk having dropped connections and server time outs.
    i think it's more convenient to use a special designed android data transfer app to help, this kind of app could transfer everything from samsung galaxy to computer
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Last edited by nowk; 15-05-2017 at 11:37.

You can use Samsung Backup to achieve your goals. It can help you transfer data between Samsung phone and computer. The data can transfer is not only contact, as well as photos, music, video, SMS and documents. What's more, manage android phone on is very simple, it will only take you a few minutes.