Thread: In general, can you flash a T-Mobile firmware over an AT&T one?

In general, can you flash a T-Mobile firmware over an AT&T one?

AT&T and T-Mobile usually have the same hardware, having both a GSM network (Verizon and Sprint are not GSM).
    So can I replace easily the firmware of an unlocked AT&T phone by a T-Mobile one, since I'm using T-Mobile?

So far I've been trying without success on an S5, not to risk a more recent phone until I understand completely:
    The phone is running G900AUCS4DQD1 (Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow") - AT&T
    I'm trying to flash G900TUVU1GQC2 (Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow") - TMOBILE
    Odin says "about.mbn"+"FAIL! (Auth)" and phone says "SECURE CHECK FAIL : aboot"

It's probably a beginner's question but could someone help me?

Thanks

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefox [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    AT&T and T-Mobile usually have the same hardware, having both a GSM network (Verizon and Sprint are not GSM).
    So can I replace easily the firmware of an unlocked AT&T phone by a T-Mobile one, since I'm using T-Mobile?

So far I've been trying without success on an S5, not to risk a more recent phone until I understand completely:
    The phone is running G900AUCS4DQD1 (Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow") - AT&T
    I'm trying to flash G900TUVU1GQC2 (Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow") - TMOBILE
    Odin says "about.mbn"+"FAIL! (Auth)" and phone says "SECURE CHECK FAIL : aboot"

It's probably a beginner's question but could someone help me?

Thanks
    Hi there

You can't flash SM-G900T firmware on an SM-G900A device

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    You can't flash SM-G900T firmware on an SM-G900A device
    I see...
    Is it something particular to the S5? Because I heard on a S7 you can flash an AT&T G930A with a standard G930U for example

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefox [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I see...
    Is it something particular to the S5? Because I heard on a S7 you can flash an AT&T G930A with a standard G930U for example
    Can't tell you that: sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by henklbr [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Can't tell you that: sorry...
    Can't tell me? I sure would like to understand more, is it something you don't know or something that I'm not supposed to do for legal reasons?
    Again, sorry for my candid question, I really am THAT newbie.

Administrator
    Can't tell me? I sure would like to understand more, is it something you don't know or something that I'm not supposed to do for legal reasons?
    Again, sorry for my candid question, I really am THAT newbie.
    As in: I don't know...

And: we will NEVER advise to flash "other model" firmware to your device...

I understand, but they are "other models" in name only, that have the same exact hardware.
    Anyway, thanks for your answer, while it doesn't help me directly, it shows it is not a simple issue.
    My main concern is to be able to access T-Mobile call over WIFI, since I can't use the ATT one any more.