Thread: Flashing BTU on XSG for Canadian use

Question Flashing BTU on XSG for Canadian use

Hi.

So I just bought a N950FD - at a very good price - but it's from the UAE (XSG). I live in Canada and from the Amazon reviews I've seen, I shouldn't have problems with SIM activation and what not. But before I go and open the box, I want to know if it's possible to flash another firmware on it, most probably UK version? Seems like the UAE versions are lagging behind in updates and I really don't want any of the clutter from that region. Furthermore I'd like to try out Samsung Pay and it doesn't seem available in the UAE version.

I know I can't flash a Canadian firmware obviously, but I'm weary of doing it with a EU one. UK seems like a good choice, but I'm not even 100% I will retain my dual sim goodness...?

So, is this possible with Odin and is it really worth it?

Thanks

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by denisehm [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi.

So I just bought a N950FD - at a very good price - but it's from the UAE (XSG). I live in Canada and from the Amazon reviews I've seen, I shouldn't have problems with SIM activation and what not. But before I go and open the box, I want to know if it's possible to flash another firmware on it, most probably UK version? Seems like the UAE versions are lagging behind in updates and I really don't want any of the clutter from that region. Furthermore I'd like to try out Samsung Pay and it doesn't seem available in the UAE version.

I know I can't flash a Canadian firmware obviously, but I'm weary of doing it with a EU one. UK seems like a good choice, but I'm not even 100% I will retain my dual sim goodness...?

So, is this possible with Odin and is it really worth it?

Thanks
    I'm afraid, that this is NOT possible to change your CSC from XSG to BTU/XEU WITHOUT a UK-SIM card!

XSG is part of a very big Multi-CSC OXM; BTU/XEU are also part of that Multi-CSC

The best CSC for your phone is determined when you insert your SIM and start-up your device...

Thanks for the info. I'm not too versed in how CSC codes work so much appreciated. Now that being said, when I activated my sim, I ended up with CHO/CHO/XSG, which I understand the different CSCs but I don't understand why I ended up with a Columbia active code..? I know there are no Canadian N950F but still...

The only thing I can't get to work is changing the Voicemail number - stuck on #111 which is not my provider's code - but I'm unsure if that has anything to do with the CSC. Really, I have no idea what the CSC would even do except stuff like VoLTE and Samsung Pay... But I can't get OEM unlock to appear and I read somewhere (maybe XDA) that BTU had the option by default, and I can't seem to get it to work.

Any advice?