Thread: Tablet won't charge after 5.0.2 upgrade

Tablet won't charge after 5.0.2 upgrade

Hi all, I recently upgraded my tab 4 to 5.0.2. Ever since, the battery indicator will not increase more than 3-4% after an overnight charge. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect, the indicator will occasionally read 100%. This has been sporadic at best. I attempted a factory reset with no change. Is it likely that a 8 month old tablet has a bad battery and it's coincidental that the problems arrived with the upgrade? Or is there something in the 5.0.2 firmware that causes this issue?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 7228Sedan [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi all, I recently upgraded my tab 4 to 5.0.2. Ever since, the battery indicator will not increase more than 3-4% after an overnight charge. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect, the indicator will occasionally read 100%. This has been sporadic at best. I attempted a factory reset with no change. Is it likely that a 8 month old tablet has a bad battery and it's coincidental that the problems arrived with the upgrade? Or is there something in the 5.0.2 firmware that causes this issue?

Thanks!
    Check out this guide from Sprint:
    It does sound like a hardware problem, so focus on the usb port and charger.
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Thanks Greenman!

I am not sure how to validate that the charger is no working. I am using the same charger I was prior to the upgrade, it is the factory supplied Samsung charger. As far as the port, all appears to be fine... is there any way to be sure? I have no problem replacing components, I don't want to change anything that isn't broken. Has anyone had a battery failure that acted like this?

Quote Originally Posted by 7228Sedan [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks Greenman!

I am not sure how to validate that the charger is no working. I am using the same charger I was prior to the upgrade, it is the factory supplied Samsung charger. As far as the port, all appears to be fine... is there any way to be sure? I have no problem replacing components, I don't want to change anything that isn't broken. Has anyone had a battery failure that acted like this?
    battery is certainly another possibility, but not the easiest to replace:

Yep, I've already had it out for an inspection :-)

Does anyone know how to test the battery disconnected from the tablet? There are 2 red, 2 black & 2 blue wires. It looks like there are two independent cells that make up the battery unit. After leaving plugged in overnight, I am assuming that I should get half of the voltage (approx 1.85 VDC) by using each of the independent red & black wires. Can anyone confirm?

My assumption is that the battery is actually charging. however the tablet is not recognizing that...

Yep, I've already had it out for an inspection :-)

Does anyone know how to test the battery disconnected from the tablet? There are 2 red, 2 black & 2 blue wires. It looks like there are two independent cells that make up the battery unit. After leaving plugged in overnight, I am assuming that I should get half of the voltage (approx 1.85 VDC) by using each of the independent red & black wires. Can anyone confirm?

My assumption is that the battery is actually charging. however the tablet is not recognizing that...
    Sounds right.
    Do you have a voltmeter?

I do, digital & analog

Update, after charging all day when I powered up the tablet it read 14%. When I test voltage at the battery connector, I get a full 3.8V actually... This reaffirms my suspicion that this is not a hardware (charger or battery) issue. Now what? Thanks any and all for their ideas!

Update, after charging all day when I powered up the tablet it read 14%. When I test voltage at the battery connector, I get a full 3.8V actually... This reaffirms my suspicion that this is not a hardware (charger or battery) issue. Now what? Thanks any and all for their ideas!
    Does this give you any pointers as to your problem?

Thanks Greenman, That is similar but I was not experiencing a rapid drain.
    I think I have it fixed. I downgraded the OS back to 4.4.2 and it's charging as normal again.
    Now, of course I am getting prompted to upgrade to 5.0 again...

I am curious to try it again to see if there was an error with the initial upgrade last week.
    At least I know I can revert back now that I have the firmware, drivers & Odin downloaded.

Thanks for all of your ideas!