Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.2.2 error - keyboard gone completely

Smile 4.2.2 error - keyboard gone completely

Hi,
    I was directed to this site by a friend and have just joined. Having a look around at the moment.

I was pointed to a file I am supposed to use for flashing my Tab2 after the automatic "update" of 4.2.2. resulted in my keyboard going missing and my Tab becoming unusable because of that.

I have a question of people here if I may:-

I bought my Tab on impulse in Athens - wandering past an electronics store, saw it and bought it on the spot. Therefore, the Tab is Greek in origin.

Do I d/l the Flashing file for Greece? I am currently in Italy, but speak neither Greek nor Italian. Is it better that I d/l the file for Australia? UK? US?

I don't want to compound the problems this thing already has by making a wrong choice.
    Thanks
    Hoges

If you bought a European Tab, then it will have all European languages available at start-up.
    For keyboard go to Settings > Application > All and find Keyboard and Clear Cache then Clear data before trying keyboard again.
    If still not working, go back and Force Stop before trying again.

If still not working you can go to the Play Store on your PC and search for keyboard.
    I use SwiftKey, but others, available. From PC Play Store you can send to your Tab providing you have registered a Gmail account on your Tab.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    If you bought a European Tab, then it will have all European languages available at start-up.
    For keyboard go to Settings > Application > All and find Keyboard and Clear Cache then Clear data before trying keyboard again.
    If still not working, go back and Force Stop before trying again.
    If still not working you can go to the Play Store on your PC and search for keyboard.
    I use SwiftKey, but others, available. From PC Play Store you can send to your Tab providing you have registered a Gmail account on your Tab.
    Flash file:- OK, so the d/l for Greece is OK then.

Keyboard:- Have done that many times in the past week. Simply restarts - on "Running" it shows 9.0meg, in the Cache it shows 4.00kb and in the Clear Data box it shows 20kb. Force stop gives me the usual message but doesn't appear to do anything.

Keyboard App:- I've done that, and tried several/many times to install both SwiftKey and Google Keyboard. I do not have a Gmail account registered on the Tab, I use my Hotmail account to buy Apps - have used it many times.

When I connect my Tab to the PC, I get the "This is compatible" message, then it says it's about to download, then when I go back it says "Installed". Except that it isn't.

The Apps both show up under "My Apps". I also installed, for comparison, a Compass App. That, too, show up in My Apps but is not on the Tab. I have tried to install the apps both wirelessly and with a USB. Makes no difference.

Hence the Flash attempt. Which is dark territory for me, but before I throw this thing overboard into the Golfo de Squillace

Thanks for the suggestions. Happy to hear more of them.
    BTW, if I have a SIM installed, I can key in the PIN on the Unlock page for some reason.
    Hoges

It does sound as if you had a bad OTA install, and so would be better to reinstall your firmware.
    This can be done with Kies using this method :
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

However, quite often Kies will not initialize.
    In this case, download your firmware from Sammobile and install with Odin.
    This link should help with the install:
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

You really need to register a Gmail account on your Tab to get the best from it.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    You really need to register a Gmail account on your Tab to get the best from it.
    It's not possible to register anything on it at the moment.

The Flash file instructions say it is for Model PT5113 only. Mine's PT5100. Same difference? Should I search for something else?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by hogesinwa [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    It's not possible to register anything on it at the moment.

The Flash file instructions say it is for Model PT5113 only. Mine's PT5100. Same difference? Should I search for something else?

Terry
    Same instructions, but of course you have to use P5100 firmware.

I have d/l the Odin program and I have d/l the 4.2.2 files. Sitting on my desktop. HOWEVER, the instructions linked above say I have to run Odin and select PDA.

There is no PDA anywhere on the Odin page. Are there any other instructions for this? I can't install the program I downloaded yet.
    thanks
    Hoges

Quote Originally Posted by hogesinwa [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I have d/l the Odin program and I have d/l the 4.2.2 files. Sitting on my desktop. HOWEVER, the instructions linked above say I have to run Odin and select PDA.

There is no PDA anywhere on the Odin page. Are there any other instructions for this? I can't install the program I downloaded yet.
    thanks
    Hoges
    PDA is the same as AP.

Ok, checked AP. Pressed Start. Got "All Threads Completed. (Succeed 0 / Failed 0)