Thread: [Help Please!] SIM card issue

[Help Please!] SIM card issue

Hi,

I am having a strange issue with my SIM card and my S4(9505), I was originally using Vodafone UK but I switched to EE roughly 6 months ago and everything was fine to start with. Then about 3 months ago, the phone would give an error saying SIM card removed and prompt me to restart the device, this would happen about once a day so it wasn't unbearable, however, recently it started giving the same error every 10-20 minutes and now it will not detect my EE SIM at all. The strange thing is, the Vodafone SIM I previously used works perfectly fine. Also, the EE SIM works fine in other devices.

TL;DR:
    Phone not detecting EE SIM card but working fine with other networks.

Phone Info
    ROM: Omega V40
    Android: 4.4.2
    Baseband/LTE (Modems): XXUGNG8
    Condition: No major drops / damage

What I have tried so far
    Replacement SIM from carrier - Same problem
    Replacement SIM/SD card reader - Same problem
    taking apart and cleaning whole device with compressed air - No help
    Detaching and Reattaching all connectors/ribbon cables on the motherboard - No help
    Wipe cache/Dalvik as suggested by google - No help
    Wipe data/factory reset - Same issue
    Revert to stock ROM - No help
    Flash full stock firmwares for EE, Vodafone and unbranded - Same issue with every one
    Airplane mode trick, as described here([ Login above or register to see download links. ]) (multiple times) - No help
    Last edited by mike604; 25-01-2015 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by mike604 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Hi,

I am having a strange issue with my SIM card and my S4(9505), I was originally using Vodafone UK but I switched to EE roughly 6 months ago and everything was fine to start with. Then about 3 months ago, the phone would give an error saying SIM card removed and prompt me to restart the device, this would happen about once a day so it wasn't unbearable, however, recently it started giving the same error every 10-20 minutes and now it will not detect my EE SIM at all. The strange thing is, the Vodafone SIM I previously used works perfectly fine. Also, the EE SIM works fine in other devices.

TL;DR:
    Phone not detecting EE SIM card but working fine with other networks.

Phone Info
    ROM: Omega V40
    Android: 4.4.2
    Baseband/LTE (Modems): XXUGNG8
    Condition: No major drops / damage

What I have tried so far
    Replacement SIM from carrier - Same problem
    Replacement SIM/SD card reader - Same problem
    taking apart and cleaning whole device with compressed air - No help
    Detaching and Reattaching all connectors/ribbon cables on the motherboard - No help
    Wipe cache/Dalvik as suggested by google - No help
    Wipe data/factory reset - Same issue
    Revert to stock ROM - No help
    Flash full stock firmwares for EE, Vodafone and unbranded - Same issue with every one, as well as 'android.process.acore has stopped constantly'
    Airplane mode trick, as described here([ Login above or register to see download links. ]) (multiple times) - No help
    I had exactly the same for about 3 weeks,it is a software issue.The only way out of it is to back-up and restore,then reset>I used Kies and it's working fine.I was getting the brush off everytime I rang Voda until one of them admitted it was a software issue.Samsung are aware of it and they advised Voda' not to tell customers prefering to take handset details for a fix.[ Login above or register to see download links. ]..it will work ,I was pulling my hair out after 2 replacement sims and yes the sim worked in my sons phone...good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by chatter01 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I had exactly the same for about 3 weeks,it is a software issue.The only way out of it is to back-up and restore,then reset>I used Kies and it's working fine.I was getting the brush off everytime I rang Voda until one of them admitted it was a software issue.Samsung are aware of it and they advised Voda' not to tell customers prefering to take handset details for a fix.[ Login above or register to see download links. ]..it will work ,I was pulling my hair out after 2 replacement sims and yes the sim worked in my sons phone...good luck..
    Thanks for the reply, however, I have already tried a full wipe/factory reset as well as flashing multiple firmware versions as stated in the original post and this didn't fix the issue.

Apologies I was under the impression you'd flashed it,mine is and has always been completely stock,sorry I couldn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by chatter01 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Apologies I was under the impression you'd flashed it,mine is and has always been completely stock,sorry I couldn't help.
    No problem, thanks anyway.

not sure if you've sorted this properly yet, but take your phone to a samsung repair centre (lvl.3+) i had the exact same issue and reset fixed it for few months but it returned.

The repair centre said that the sim tray becomes faulty after a while and fitted a new mb and sim tray for me, its worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by krunz [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    not sure if you've sorted this properly yet, but take your phone to a samsung repair centre (lvl.3+) i had the exact same issue and reset fixed it for few months but it returned.

The repair centre said that the sim tray becomes faulty after a while and fitted a new mb and sim tray for me, its worth a try.
    I'm now using a different S4 as i swapped with a family member who's SIM worked fine but i have already replaced the SIM tray myself so that suggests it could be the motherboard but that will be a rather expensive repair so I will just leave things as they are for now, thanks for the suggestion.