Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: [GT-I9505] Upgrade firmware with root?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40

    Question [GT-I9505] Upgrade firmware with root?

    Hi,

    I have a Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (Europe LTE) with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600.

    Yesterday I rooted my phone with Kingo Android ROOT (One-click root, NO Odin). I had installed the default rom from Samsung which you get when you buy an S4.
    Now I have Android 4.3, but 4.4.2 is going to be released soon in my country (as other European country's already can download it).

    How can I update my Android version without 'destroying' my phone? (I want to keep the root).

    Regards,
    Michael

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41,789
    Root does not stop you getting Kies updates.
    But installing an update will clear root, so you will have to root again.

    While rooted make a 'nandroid' backup.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40
    Thanks for your answer.

    If I make that 'nandroid' backup you say, what does it do?

    Btw: I don't have any custom rom, or custom recovery installed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41,789
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelw1998 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks for your answer.

    If I make that 'nandroid' backup you say, what does it do?

    Btw: I don't have any custom rom, or custom recovery installed.
    A nandroid is a complete backup of your phone (including firmware) as it is at the moment.

    Use your custom recovery - if you haven't got one, install Rom Manager from the Play Store.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40
    Is it required to have a custom recovery? I have Titanium Backup Pro installed at my phone, is that app good enough to make backups if I want to update my firmware?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41,789
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelw1998 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Is it required to have a custom recovery? I have Titanium Backup Pro installed at my phone, is that app good enough to make backups if I want to update my firmware?
    Titanium backup is very good, but doesn't backup your firmware.
    If you don't want to make a complete nandroid backup, then back up your EFS file and keep on an external sd card or your computer.
    The EFS folder is where important data about your phone is stored.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40
    I have an app: ES File Manager. I got into the efs folder, but it says that the folder is empty.

    Does a Samsung Kies backup include my firmware? (I just don't want to install a custom recovery or an custom ROM).

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41,789
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelw1998 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    I have an app: ES File Manager. I got into the efs folder, but it says that the folder is empty.

    Does a Samsung Kies backup include my firmware? (I just don't want to install a custom recovery or an custom ROM).
    A nandroid is the only way to get a complete copy of your phone.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40
    Okay, and what if I update without a nandroid backup?

    What (except root) do I lose then?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41,789
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelw1998 [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Okay, and what if I update without a nandroid backup?

    What (except root) do I lose then?
    It was just a suggestion to take advantage of being rooted.
    All you lose is the chance to go back to your current phone set up.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •