Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [GT-I9300] Installing a custom rom

Question [GT-I9300] Installing a custom rom

Hi,

I was wondering on how to install a custom rom (specifically Cyanogenmod) on my GT-I9300. I said that if I don't like the stock 4.3 after updating, I will install a custom rom. Now, if that were to happen, what should I do beforehand? Should I back up my EFS folder (or something like that). I'm really a newbie at this one cause I've always used stock android. Can anyone give me tips? Thanks

First of all, backup your phone with the Helium app:
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]

Now use the Cyanogenmod all-in-one installer to take you through the installation.

Direct link, courtesy of Android Magazine if you put:
    get.cm/app

into your browser.

Source :Android Magazine Issue 34 Imagine Publishing
    Last edited by greenman; 18-02-2014 at 10:27.

So I don't have to mess with the EFS? Cause I'm worried about losing mobile connection if I flash a custom rom after updating to 4.3. And what recovery does it install, and can I flash other custom roms with it? If I want to go back to stock, how? Sorry for my stupidity..

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeAddict [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    So I don't have to mess with the EFS? Cause I'm worried about losing mobile connection if I flash a custom rom after updating to 4.3. And what recovery does it install, and can I flash other custom roms with it? If I want to go back to stock, how? Sorry for my stupidity..
    You will find the CM installer very user friendly and will take you through the process.

If you decide it is not for you then reinstall your original firmware - has to be 4.3 or above due to a change in the EFS folder (EFS2)

For ultimate safety.
    Root your phone.
    Install CWM Recovery (as in the CM installation) and carry out a backup from CWM recovery.
    This is called a Nandroid and will make an exact copy of your phone as it is now.

If you do not like CM then you can restore your phone to its present state.

Thanks greenman for the steps. So I did flash cyanogenmod, but did not use the installer. I used the manual process. I created a backup of my phone also beforehand and flashed. Upon flashing cyanogenmod 10.2, the device is always warm. It wasn't like that on TouchWiz. So I restored my backup (rooted), used TriangleAway, and uninstalled root. Now, system status in settings still shows modified. Can you explain to me why? And how will I restore the innocence () of my phone?

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeAddict [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks greenman for the steps. So I restored my backup (rooted), used TriangleAway, and uninstalled root. Now, system status in settings still shows modified. Can you explain to me why? And how will I restore the innocence () of my phone?
    It is because you had rooted phone "modified" when you made your back up. So it re-instated your phone as per back up "it done its job"

Is the status "modified" that much of a problem at the moment ?

Are you now on 4.1.2 ?
    Last edited by samsungfozzy; 09-03-2014 at 09:20.

XtremeAddict, I would not have expected your Status to show modified after doing what you said.
    Is the same status being shown in Download Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    XtremeAddict, I would not have expected your Status to show modified after doing what you said.
    Is the same status being shown in Download Mode?
    Mmmm I would have said this was to be expected after all what is the point of doing a back up image if it did not restore to the back up image ?

If it was a fresh install then yes it should show "normal" but as you can probably recall this is not always the case and sometimes we have to initialise using Kies to revert from "modified - normal"

Unfortunately I need my phone today otherwise i would try it for the sake of research

Quote Originally Posted by samsungfozzy [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Mmmm I would have said this was to be expected after all what is the point of doing a back up image if it did not restore to the back up image ?

If it was a fresh install then yes it should show "normal" but as you can probably recall this is not always the case and sometimes we have to initialise using Kies to revert from "modified - normal"
    One of us has misread this.
    As I read it, the process was :
    1. Root (from backup)
    2. Use TriangleAway to return to stock settings.
    3. Remove root by reinstalling stock firmware.

So the phone is now not rooted and therefore not modified.

EDIT: if 3 was not carried out then it should be, and Samsungfozzy's suggestion of reinstalling firmware with Kies would ensure an 'official' firmware status.
    Last edited by greenman; 09-03-2014 at 11:02.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    One of us has misread this.
    As I read it, the process was :
    1. Root (from backup)
    2. Use TriangleAway to return to stock settings.
    3. Remove root by reinstalling stock firmware.

So the phone is now not rooted and therefore not modified.

EDIT: if 3 was not carried out then it should be, and Samsungfozzy's suggestion of reinstalling firmware with Kies would ensure an 'official' firmware status.
    Yes interpretation I think
    I understood it as he done a back up before installing Cyanogen and did not like Cyanogen and returned to 4.1.2 from his back up. (maybe not 4.1.2 could be 4.3 what ever I not know ?)