Thread: Covering all ground...

Covering all ground...

I am preparing to update my Note 2 to Android version 4.3.

My phone is the N7100 bought in the Philippines and branded to Globe. Android version 4.1.2, baseband N7100DXDLK5, and build Number JZO54K.N7100XXDMB2. I had the SIM lock removed because I live half the year in the Philippines and half in the US. In the process of having it unlocked, the phone has been rooted.

I downloaded N7100XXUEML3_N7100OLBEML1_XTC.zip from Terafile. I picked the XTC variant because I hope to have it unbranded with the upgrade. Obviously I'll need to do the update via Odin.

Here are my concerns. I've seen a few posts where people loose their IMEI after the upgrade, is this a common problem? My research tells me I should backup my /EFS folder so I will do so, no problem since the phone is already rooted. After flashing I assume I will no longer be rooted, is this correct? Then in the event that I do loose my IMEI, am I correct that restoring the original /EFS folder will correct? And finally, will I need to be rooted to restore the folder if necessary and is there a rooting procedure for 4.3?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Upgrading does not normally result in loss of IMEI, but always sensible to have a back up, and as you are rooted you can take a nandroid - a back up from custom recovery like CWM.
    This makes an exact copy of your setup at the time of backup.

Updating will remove root, and no need to re-root, but it is useful.
    To restore a backup you will need to be rooted as you have to use the same programme that you backed up with.

Upgrade done, no issues! Now I have to do my homework to learn how to use all the new features, and maybe tone down the predictive text just a little.