Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N9005 MPN differences? Can someone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post
    Of course, there is the problem of how to flash such radio/modem, once I find it. I have absolutely no idea of the technicalities involved.

After all.. if you think about it, that's exactly what some ROMs do: they carry better radios/modems.

I have the hardware, now I need the firmware.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    This is where we differ in our opinion.
    My view is that the modem has a set range of frequencies or bands that it supports.
    These cannot be changed.

The firmware can modify how the phone connects to the mobile network frequency, and these are the changes I the rom.
    It doesn't change the frequency, but improves (hopefully) the 'hand shake' with the transmitters to gain access to the network.

You have the hardware and that's not providing the support to the network band you need (Band 8)
    And it is my view that you cannot change this as it is determined by the hardware.

Your impossible journey is because what you are trying to achieve is impossible with your Note3 because of regional differences.

I hope that I am wrong, and wish you well in your journey.
    Let me know if you achieve your goal.
    Cheers, it's been a very interesting study.

It's very likely that I'm wrong as I have very little knowledge of Android in general: all I know I learned it reading this forum and others.

BTW, band 8 is not essential. Bands 1, 3 and 20 are. But regardless of which band ids essential the hardware part of the modem for all those frequencies is certainly installed on my phone: it's a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 which is natively furnished with the correct hardware for my necessities.

I would bet more on your opinion being correct than mine but... I'll still try to see if it is possible to flash the correct radio firmware. I paid a lot of money for the extra LTE data connection!

Are you not getting LTE in Italy?
    For Japan I would use a Japanese mifi router and attach to it with wifi.

Like these;
    http://mb.softbank.jp/en/products/data_com/
    Last edited by greenman; 22-01-2014 at 23:06.

It's very likely that I'm wrong as I have very little knowledge of Android in general: all I know I learned it reading this forum and others.

BTW, band 8 is not essential. Bands 1, 3 and 20 are. But regardless of which band ids essential the hardware part of the modem for all those frequencies is certainly installed on my phone: it's a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 which is natively furnished with the correct hardware for my necessities.

I would bet more on your opinion being correct than mine but... I'll still try to see if it is possible to flash the correct radio firmware. I paid a lot of money for the extra LTE data connection!

The main problem is even if you find a way to do it, using an unofficial rom could and probably will trip the Knox security and in doing so void your warranty. Question you need to ask is would it be worth it to void the warranty or use either an mifi box in Japan or just connect with H+

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Are you not getting LTE in Italy?
    For Japan I would use a Japanese mifi router and attach to it with wifi.
    thanks, greenman, thanks for the advice but... no, I paid top dollars for this phone and I want it to work as Samsung promised: unlocked and international within the bands that Samsung advertises.

No LTE data in Italy and no LTE data in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by GreywolfUK View Post
    The main problem is even if you find a way to do it, using an unofficial rom could and probably will trip the Knox security and in doing so void your warranty. Question you need to ask is would it be worth it to void the warranty or use either an mifi box in Japan or just connect with H+
    Thanks greywolf, but Knox is not a problem. If I can find a firmware modification I will use it.

Please, anyone, help me to enable the frequencies which Samsung blocked on the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.

Even before using my phone the first time, out of the box, I rooted my device to trip Knox purposefully as I'm hoping for a legal fray. I completely removed Knox from my phone.

- - - - - follows OT - - - - -

Knox is not a problem at all. I hate the Apple style prisons.

Cultural awareness and commercial practices are slowly moving towards a more consumer oriented market civilization. The "war" consumers/corporations is being won by consumers although the resistance is fierce.

Device's performance must be granted by the producer. Hardware and software are becoming clear and separate concepts in court. Hardware failure must be proved to be caused by Software and vice versa.

Hardware functionality must be granted by the producer.

Any software problem can be solved here or on XDA.

In Europe it is the producer, and not the consumer, which has to prove that the hardware failure was caused by routing. It is not sufficient that Samsung offers "plausible" motives to show how rooting "may" have damaged the hardware. Samsung has to actually "prove it" in court. The burden of proof is on Samsung, not on the user.

And since 99% of software problems can be solved here or on XDA I ask, no, I demand, that Samsung take care of the hardware.

Legal systems are reflecting more and more the right of the end user to do what he wants with HIS device.

Today nobody would ever accept to buy a car that has a GPS system which slams the brakes on when you drive across a state border where your exhaust emissions are illegal! Why should Samsung slam the brakes on some LTE bands?

Hardware warranty refusals, on the grounds of firmware breach, are no longer possible in Europe and many US states. Similarly, in Japan, the Ministry of Communications "recommended" to device sellers to unlock their phones and refrain from withholding assistance on those grounds.

I already threatened legal action against hTC and Softbank in Japan and they complied. A store manager was "authorised" by the company to instruct his store staff to provide me with hardware (frequency) support on a clearly rooted device.

Rooting, or tripping any security system, even with Apple, CANNOT (shouting at the whole community to wake us all up collectively) be used as a warranty voiding cause for hardware failure.

Regardless of what the producer states in his warranty documents such warranties are void and null.

Unfortunately, consumers are put off by the prospect of having to initiate a legal battle and Samsung counts on this: the majority of consumers will not go to the trouble of suing them and, statistically, it's cheaper to pay those few legal claims (which they lose) rather than paying for the cost of granting warranties to everyone, as they should. It's a commercial "cultural" practice.

But... this is cheaper only if the number of legal actions is small.

It's our fault if Knox is a problem. We have the rights and the opportunity to make it not so.

Personally I love legal battles and I am hoping for a hardware failure on one of my rooted devices with subsequent warranty denial. I would make lots of money suing the producer!

In my case, my lawyer even went as far as advising me that selling a phone advertised as being: "unlocked, international model (with a clear list of hardware frequencies compatibility)" is sufficient to cite them for misrepresentation and failure to perform.

Writing in small print that frequencies compatibility is subject to local network compatibility... It's like saying: "the phone works only if when you try it it actually works"!

Regional lock is illegal, in most legal systems, on a factory unlocked device: Samsung's N9005 incompatibility across its own MPN versions (the HK version incompatibility with the Polish kk is a clear example) is a clear breech of consumer rights in Europe.

In the US consumers led the way against car manufacturers. Now we should do the same for electronic products.

Last edited by ascanio1; 23-01-2014 at 08:09.

Thanks greywolf, but Knox is not a problem. If I can find a firmware modification I will use it.

Please, anyone, help me to enable the frequencies which Samsung blocked on the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.

Even before using my phone the first time, out of the box, I rooted my device to trip Knox purposefully as I'm hoping for a legal fray. I completely removed Knox from my phone.

- - - - - follows OT - - - - -

Knox is not a problem at all. I hate the Apple style prisons.

Cultural awareness and commercial practices are slowly moving towards a more consumer oriented market civilization. The "war" consumers/corporations is being won by consumers although the resistance is fierce.

Device's performance must be granted by the producer. Hardware and software are becoming clear and separate concepts in court. Hardware failure must be proved to be caused by Software and vice versa.

Hardware functionality must be granted by the producer.

Any software problem can be solved here or on XDA.

In Europe it is the producer, and not the consumer, which has to prove that the hardware failure was caused by routing. It is not sufficient that Samsung offers "plausible" motives to show how rooting "may" have damaged the hardware. Samsung has to actually "prove it" in court. The burden of proof is on Samsung, not on the user.

And since 99% of software problems can be solved here or on XDA I ask, no, I demand, that Samsung take care of the hardware.

Legal systems are reflecting more and more the right of the end user to do what he wants with HIS device.

Today nobody would ever accept to buy a car that has a GPS system which slams the brakes on when you drive across a state border where your exhaust emissions are illegal! Why should Samsung slam the brakes on some LTE bands?

Hardware warranty refusals, on the grounds of firmware breach, are no longer possible in Europe and many US states. Similarly, in Japan, the Ministry of Communications "recommended" to device sellers to unlock their phones and refrain from withholding assistance on those grounds.

I already threatened legal action against hTC and Softbank in Japan and they complied. A store manager was "authorised" by the company to instruct his store staff to provide me with hardware (frequency) support on a clearly rooted device.

Rooting, or tripping any security system, even with Apple, CANNOT (shouting at the whole community to wake us all up collectively) be used as a warranty voiding cause for hardware failure.

Regardless of what the producer states in his warranty documents such warranties are void and null.

Unfortunately, consumers are put off by the prospect of having to initiate a legal battle and Samsung counts on this: the majority of consumers will not go to the trouble of suing them and, statistically, it's cheaper to pay those few legal claims (which they lose) rather than paying for the cost of granting warranties to everyone, as they should. It's a commercial "cultural" practice.

But... this is cheaper only if the number of legal actions is small.

It's our fault if Knox is a problem. We have the rights and the opportunity to make it not so.

Personally I love legal battles and I am hoping for a hardware failure on one of my rooted devices with subsequent warranty denial. I would make lots of money suing the producer!

In my case, my lawyer even went as far as advising me that selling a phone advertised as being: "unlocked, international model (with a clear list of hardware frequencies compatibility)" is sufficient to cite them for misrepresentation and failure to perform.

Writing in small print that frequencies compatibility is subject to local network compatibility... It's like saying: "the phone works only if when you try it it actually works"!

Regional lock is illegal, in most legal systems, on a factory unlocked device: Samsung's N9005 incompatibility across its own MPN versions (the HK version incompatibility with the Polish kk is a clear example) is a clear breech of consumer rights in Europe.

In the US consumers led the way against car manufacturers. Now we should do the same for electronic products.

If your looking for help with a custom rom, one of the best places to check is the XDA Note 3 forums, CM (and varients) custom roms is reportedly pretty good, but to be honest I have not long got my Note 3 and I am not ready to root it yet, but I have always used XDA when it involves rooting and custom roms, never had any trouble with their advice and expertise.