Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed to get my phone back to an official rom

Help needed to get my phone back to an official rom

Hi all.
    Last year I updated my UK Vodafone S3 to 4.2.1. This was an official rom but I think it was korean. The reason I say this is that in KIES it's been telling my that KIES does not support my firmware with a firmware code followed by /KOR
    Now that 4.3 has been released I downloaded odin 3.09 and the firmware from here and updated my phone. However KIES still says that it's not compatible with my firmware /KOR. I've done a factory reset. The phone works fine but KIES won't recognize properly.

I've read a few threads here and it looks like my CSC may have been altered when I upgraded to 4.2.1.
    I've tried a few suggestion on this forum that talk about using a USSD code to change my CSC but this hasn't worked, nor has an app that I downloaded.

So a few questions.
    1) Can I use Odin to change my CSC? I ask because that is one of the the boxes that I can select in odin 3.09. If I can then what do I stick in that box ?
    2) Is there another way to change my CSC that doesn't involve rooting it ?
    3) Should I care ?. After all the phone works fine. It's just KIES that doesn't work with it.

any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Recent firmware has blocked the use of most USSD codes I'm afraid.
    The only way to recover the country code you want is to root your phone and then use something like the samsung CSC changer app.

[ Login above or register to see download links. ]

But it really is a lot of trouble to go to when you can just ignore Kies and use Odin to update your firmware.

You could try connecting your phone to Kies3 and if recognised use the Tools > Firmware upgrade and initialize menu to put the correct and latest firmware on your phone.

Thanks for the quick response. I've actually already got the latest and correct firmware on. It's just that CSC thing that's bugging me. I did try that app but it seems to use the ussd code method so perhaps that's why it didn't work. I think it just saves you having to enter your imei number.

I'm happy to continue using Odin but I was thinking of selling the phone once the S5 comes out and didn't want a prospective buyer to be forced to use something that they're perhaps not ready to. Odin is a techy tool while KIES is more for the less tech savvy out there.

Quote Originally Posted by iRadiate [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Thanks for the quick response. I've actually already got the latest and correct firmware on. It's just that CSC thing that's bugging me. I did try that app but it seems to use the ussd code method so perhaps that's why it didn't work. I think it just saves you having to enter your imei number.

I'm happy to continue using Odin but I was thinking of selling the phone once the S5 comes out and didn't want a prospective buyer to be forced to use something that they're perhaps not ready to. Odin is a techy tool while KIES is more for the less tech savvy out there.
    Is your phone rooted?
    It has to be for Samsung CSC changer to work.

1 = No, but most firmware is multi CSC which means you should be able to select your region from a fresh install when it first starts up. a lot of people have not been able to do this though and some have.

2 = No if #1 was a non go for you the only way is to root and use CSC select

3 = No I wouldn't care, if your phone is working good and you do not mind using Odin as and when you want to update then leave it (if it aint broke)

4 = oops no 4 What you could try if you fancy it is,,, Kies

Make sure your phone is not connected to Kies in any way. Turn it off as all the info is under the battery anyway.

Open Kies and go to Tools Tab,
    Select Firmware Upgrade and Initialization,
    Enter model name GT-I9300 press ok,
    Enter serial # and press ok,
    info about resetting to original firmware blah blah press ok,
    You will then see all the original info to the supplied Vendor,
    Press Cancel once you got it

Or if you want to go ahead and install original firmware press ok ?

@greenman do you think #4 should work ? as you may remember I had a motherboard change not so long ago and this is what happened to my phone, (installed original firmware).
    Last edited by samsungfozzy; 30-12-2013 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by samsungfozzy [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    @greenman do you think #4 should work ? as you may remember I had a motherboard change not so long ago and this is what happened to my phone, (installed original firmware).
    Can't see any reason why it shouldn't - but then again samsung phones do have a tendency to do what you least expect.
    Always worth a try.

Already in progress.
    I'll let you know what happens. So far it looks good in that it's downloading the firmware.

Hope it works for you

Oh well it didn't quite work. My CSC has oddly changed from KOR to VD2 now. Should be VOD.
    KIES still doesn't like it.
    Gonna restore my stuff again and call it a day as I've been at this now since this morning.
    When I sell it I'll just keep quiet about it.

Thanks for your suggestions though. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by iRadiate [ Login above or register to see download links. ]
    Oh well it didn't quite work. My CSC has oddly changed from KOR to VD2 now. Should be VOD.
    KIES still doesn't like it.
    Gonna restore my stuff again and call it a day as I've been at this now since this morning.
    When I sell it I'll just keep quiet about it.

Thanks for your suggestions though. Much appreciated.
    VD2 is the CSC code for Vodafone Germany.
    [ Login above or register to see download links. ]