PDA

View Full Version : [Firmware] no notifications after galaxy s4 update to lollipop

davidnidam
20-05-2015, 20:13
Hi

I had upgrade my s4 to lollipop and since then I got no notifications to my galaxy.

When I select notifications from the gear app it required to enable notification but after phone reset it disappear again.
is this z bug of what?

greenman
20-05-2015, 22:02
Is your S4 linking with your Gear?

Did you update your S4 OTA or with Kies?

Does your Gear need to update?

davidnidam
21-05-2015, 02:13
Is your S4 linking with your Gear? Yes it is. Again, if I check in my S4 Settings/My Device/Notifications/Notifications Access/Samsung Gear then the gear receive notifications - still this checkbox is from some reasons automatically cleared when the S4 is power cycled.

Did you update your S4 OTA or with Kies? OTA. Yet after the firmware update the S4 suffered from instability, heating and fast battery consumption so I had to reset it to its factory default and than stor back my personal apps and settings what solve these issues except the one with the Gear.

Does your Gear need to update? it claim to have the lates version (R380XXU0BOA2) as well as all it's installed apps. The same is for the S4 (I set them both for automatic updates)

davidnidam
21-05-2015, 02:20
Is your S4 linking with your Gear?
-> Yes it is. Again, if I check in my S4 Settings/My Device/Notifications/Notifications Access/Samsung Gear then the gear receive notifications - still this checkbox is from some reasons automatically cleared when the S4 is power cycled.

-> OTA. Yet after the firmware update the S4 suffered from instability, heating and fast battery consumption so I had to reset it to its factory default and than stor back my personal apps and settings what solve these issues except the one with the Gear.

Does your Gear need to update?
-> the Gear2 claims to have the lates version (R380XXU0BOA2) as well as all it's installed apps. The same is for the S4 (I set them both for automatic updates)

greenman
21-05-2015, 10:00
-> OTA. Yet after the firmware update the S4 suffered from instability, heating and fast battery consumption so I had to reset it to its factory

This is your problem.
OTA updates often do not fully install, and a factory reset makes no difference if all of the firmware is not there or damaged.
I would normally recommend connecting phon to Kies .
Go to Tools > Upgrade firmware and initialization, but Kies will not initialise the S4 (but try it)

The other option is to backup your data with the Helium app from the Play Store.
Download the latest firmware from Sammobile and install with Odin.

After installing , put phone in Recovery Mode and Wipe Cache the Wipe Data/ Factory reset.

davidnidam
21-05-2015, 14:41
Thank you for your help!

I had tried using kies and as you wrote - it is not working for S4.
So now I download I9500XXUHOC5_I9500OJKHOD1_ILO.zip and intend to burn it using kies.

Prior running this step …
1. After burn it from kies will the phone have future OTA updates or will it be locked because I used the kies method?
2. I am regularly using Samsun Smart Switch for backup my phone. Is it OK to use this restore after the kies flash?

David

greenman
21-05-2015, 15:12
Just a quick note.
Kies cannot be used to install a firmware.
You need to use Odin as instructed on the Download site.

If you change the original firmware set up (so if ILO is not your phone original firmware) then:
OTA updates will stop.
Kies updates will most likely continue.
Odin updates will definitely work.

davidnidam
23-05-2015, 07:56
OK.
Did it all; burn using Odin, wipe out user data followed by the tiresome process of reconfigured my phone to be as before.
Still the checkbox disappear after phone power cycle thus in order to receive notifications I need to remember to cycle thru the screens each time and turn it on.
  
This is defiantly looks like a software bug that makes me miss the good old kitkat (I loved my S4 + Gear2 combination so much and now I don’t know any more…)