Update: Looks like the update is causing a few issues, so it would be a good idea to read this and refrain from updating for the time being.
It’s been a painfully long wait for the Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S III owners, and while the update began rolling out for the S III a few days ago, it was only for Vodafone and other operated branded variants of the handset in different regions. Now, the update is making its way to unlocked and unbranded Galaxy S IIIs in the UK, which means it should begin rolling out to devices all around the world in the coming days.
CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS IN ANDROID 4.3 UPDATE
– GALAXY GEAR Support
– TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
– ANT+ Support
– Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
– New Samsung Keyboard
– GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
– New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
– New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
– Driving mode
– Actionable notifications
– Move-to-SD-card feature
– New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
– New Additions in Notification Centre
– Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
– Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
– New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
– Full screen Samsung apps
– New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
– Found more? Tell us about them in the comments below!
Once the update is available for your device, you’ll get a notification for it, and since the update is quite a major one, a Wi-Fi connection is recommended. You can also update through Kies, or by downloading the firmware for your region from our firmware section.
UK Firmware info:
- Model: GT-I9300
- Country: United Kingdom
- Version: Android 4.3
- Changelist: 1902166
- Build date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 03:29:22 +0000
- Product Code: BTU
- PDA: I9300XXUGMJ9
- CSC: I9300OXAGMJ9
- MODEM: I9300XXUGMJ9