‘Whatsapp opens doors for Samsungs ChatON’

If we can believe the latest rumors of the company behind worlds famous chat application for smartphones Whatsapp, will we have to pay in the future for using Whatsapp.
The spokesperson of whatsapp told androidworld.nl that Whatsapp try out by using Google play to pay for Whatsapp the price would be one dollar. It is not the first time Whatsapp users need to pay for the application. Apple iPhone users also need to pay for using Whatsapp. If Whatsapp decide that all Android users need to pay for whatsapp is this something really great for ChatON.
Samsung’s own pre-installed chat program ChatON is free to use and has even more function than Whatsapp.
Samsung is even busy to create some extra options in ChatON. Samsung Chaton is very popular by bada users and Asian people. The market in Europe is hardly to get for ChatON.

We have to say ChatON looks not that nice, but the function walkie-talkie or just sending photos and messages are working fine. For Samsung could this be the excellent moment to get more users on their own chat platform.

Phones 22

2 years 11 months ago

The 1$ is not the problem. The features of chaton is much better than whatsapp.

2 years 11 months ago

yes thats true!!!! you can start working hard Sammy!!! you have already proved us that you care about your customer by dropping Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Beta for N7000 user which was not expected!!! Thanks!!! Respect!!!

2 years 11 months ago

won’t use Whatsapp if need to pay no matter how much it is!

2 years 11 months ago

won’t use Whatsapp if need to pay!

2 years 11 months ago

in belgium , ppl get unlimited amount of sms with their contract , the only app i like is viber because it gives you the ability to phone over wifi or 3G.

2 years 11 months ago

They should intergrate ChatOn with the sms-app, just like apples iMessage!

2 years 11 months ago

I tried convincing relatives to switch to chaton….they will but 3rd persons would not make the switch cause friends of friends wouldnt either…..then it comes back to my families….and then it becomes a headache….get the point…. “user database” i still like Chaton way better….hope people adopt it soon.

3 years 10 hours ago

Not too many know that ChatOn even exists. If Sammy wants to take advantage of it, they should spend a little on PR for awareness campaign. Pre-installing it on newer phones just isn’t enough.

3 years 14 hours ago

1- iphone users got 10 years free with cydia or something like this
2- $1 yea but $1 is not 1€. of course its still cheap but hey why would you pay for a service that you can get for free. kakaotalk is free (just lacks symbian platform) you just need to convince people to use it
3- i’m using whatsapp for a year now and it was supposed to end 9 days a ago but expiration date became 17th of January
4- yall need to understand the difference between SMS and what whatsapp sends !! you can call it a SMS but its definitely not, it just uses internet connection even if it asks for your phone number. so if you dont have wifi or data plan its useless (not everyone does have data plan)
5- its too bad you can actually only register with a phone number

3 years 18 hours ago

I have no problem with paying the $1, but Whatsapp has not changed the interface since its inception. It looks dated. At least they can make it more attractive and include more options.

I must give ChatON credit; it is my favorite messenger and despite the hiccups I really like it. The emoticons are the best I have ever seen on a messenger. It even beats BBM in my book.

3 years 19 hours ago

I’ve used Whatsapp for free for over 2 years? My licence got renewed for free every year. Based in UK so might be different for US users?

3 years 23 hours ago

$1 is would not be a problem, the actual issue would be that majority of the android and nokia users have never made a transaction on mobile. Especially in asia and youngsters around the world who are the mass users of chat apps.

3 years 1 day ago

i paid the dollar last month to renew my one year subscription………
My phone and sms bill is some times more than 50 times that amount and my samsung galaxy s2 phone was more than 500 times that amount and the phone wont last more than 2 years………….really a dollar a year is going to bother me………dont think so

3 years 1 day ago

What I LIKE about ChatOn is that it also offers a web based interface, so you can still chat with your friends at times when you don’t have access to your phone (or just prefer typing on a computer keyboard :-) ).

3 years 1 day ago

comeon, just $1. You dont expect progammers to code free for you and their servers drop from sky.

3 years 1 day ago

I’m sorry but paying $1 for whatsapp is nothing, I’d gladly pay that considering how much I use it. That’s good value.

3 years 1 day ago

The problem isn’t the dollar, but the fact that one has to pay for a service that had been free. If so, isn’t it a good time to look for an alternative?

One more thing, your one dollar isn’t the same as another’s.

3 years 1 day ago

“seriously consider alternatives”… only for 1$ ????
So, this app let us send messages without pay and we don’t want to give them 1$ neither ?
What world is this ?

3 years 1 day ago

Line seems a lot better than Whatsapp/Chat-On and is multidevice too.
The only thing keeping me with Whatsapp is that all my family is with it.
But is Whatsapp starts to charge then a lot of people will seriously consider alternatives and for methe best positioned one is LINE.

3 years 1 day ago

Chaton lack of speed and some minor but important function.
WA will not stop send your message till it delivered.
But i agree chaton have more feature and mature design interface
Except. The orange theme. Please let us choose another color theme like blue or black and its fine.
And i think thats match the flexible concept of samsung.!

3 years 1 day ago

WhatsApp has a huge userbase and as long as your contacts don’t switch to an other multiplatform chatprogram (which ChatON is by the way) than those who are to cheap to pay $1 per year for the Android version of WhatsApp will have a problem :D

3 years 1 day ago

WhatsApp has always been a paid application, with a year of free service. So the only difference seems to be the cancellation of the trial period so the users will have to pay $1 right away.